CATHEDRAL SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1251561
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
12-Oct-1972
Statutory Address:
CATHEDRAL SCHOOL, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHEDRAL SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251561.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 07:46:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
CATHEDRAL SCHOOL, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14385 29398

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 Cathedral School (formerly listed as Bishop's Palace) SU 1429 SW 5/58 28.2.52. I GV 2. Very fine picturesque complex, consisting in part of Bishop Beauchamp's and his successors circa 1460-1500 and in part Bishop Seth Ward's of 1670-4 with late C18 and Cl9 alterations. Irregular building of flint and stone and ashlar, some crenellation. Old tile roofs. The north and entrance front is mainly of the middle C15, with the original Palace buildings on the West side, then dating from early Cl3, with the Great Hall on the 1st floor and running north and south. This room later altered to a drawing room in C18, with a large Palladian window at each end and in the middle of the west side. The middle portion of the building contains the former dining hall, later entrance hall with chapel above; and to the east the square entrance Tower and later Great hall behind it, probably built between 1450-80. On the south side considerable additions of a plain character were made in the late C18, but there is also work of the C17 and early C18. Interior: an important undercroft, 6 bays with 2 short round piers carrying circular abaci and heavy single chamfered arches and ribs. The drawing room replacing the Great Hall dates from the time of Bishop Sherlock circa 1740. Stucco garlanded frieze with heads, coved ceiling, centre panel decorated with eagle. The Venetian windows of this room have Corinthian columns. The chapel C15 (buttress visible on north front) has straight headed windows, moulded beams to ceiling. Jacobean stalls and communion rails with flat open work balusters, and screen. Grand staircase installed by Seth Ward rising in 2 flights and returning one repeated for 2nd floor. Turned balusters, solid string.

The building forma unique group with the Cathedral.

All the listed buildings in the Close form an outstanding group.



Listing NGR: SU1440729403

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318958
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09284/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].