THORNWAITE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251688

Date first listed: 03-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: THORNWAITE MILL, DACRE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THORNWAITE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251688 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 01:44:00.

Location

Statutory Address: THORNWAITE MILL, DACRE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Harrogate (District Authority)

Parish: Thornthwaite with Padside

National Grid Reference: SE 18431 58971

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORNTHWAITE WITH PADSIDE DACRE LANE SE 15 NE (west side)

13/153 Thornthwaite Mill II Corn mill and mill house, now house and storage. Early-mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone, graduated stone slate roof. 2 storeys, approximately 8 bays; a long range composed of (left to right): 2- or 3-bay offices and storage, 5-bay mill range with wheel-house to rear, and right bay projecting and gabled, and a 2-bay miller's house far right. Facade: ground floor of offices - doorway with tie-stones and a C20 window; 2 part-blocked windows in plain surrounds above. Mill range: a wide board door in tie-stone surround, 4-pane sash to left, 25-pane sash to right, both in plain stone surrounds. Door flanked by windows also to first floor, the window to left enlarged mid C20. Projecting bay: part-blocked window in front bowed wall, ground floor; sash with glazing bars above; both have large flush sill and lintel. Projecting band and semicircular recess to pedimented gable. Mill house: (main range, far right) - C20 glazed door with tie-stone jambs, mid C20 frames in original stone surrounds to windows. Shaped kneelers and gable copings, end stacks. Interior: central section only examined: ground floor - stone blocks set in flooring with recesses for framework of missing machinery. Large timbers support first floor, some possibly reused. Wheel- house against rear wall has remains of overshot wheel, in derelict condition. First floor: trap doors and stairs in straight flights. Roof structure: double queen strut roof with notched carpenters marks, 3 trusses over central range, one over house. The 1851 and 1871 censuses record that the building was then a corn mill with Ralph and William Umpleby the millers. The brick building to rear was built probably when the building was used by Fernbeck Dairies, late C19 - mid C20. A barn next to the mill was converted to a dwelling mid C20.

Listing NGR: SE1843158971

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434463

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing