CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1251821
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD, MILL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:43:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT LEONARD, MILL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
South Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Pitcombe
National Grid Reference:
ST 67273 32719

Details

PITCOMBE CP ST63SE MILL LANE (WEST SIDE)

5/259 Church of Saint Leonard 24.3.61 GV II

Church. Cl5 tower, remainder rebuilt 1858. Architect G E Street. Tower local stone with ashlar dressings, remainder Cary stone with Doulting dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables with cross finials. 4 cell plan of 2 bay chancel, 3 bay nave and North aisle, and North East vestry, with South porch and West tower. Chancel has plinth, stepped cill course and offset corner buttresses; C19 traceried pointed arched windows of 3 lights to East, and one and 2-lights to South. Nave has recessed C15 style traceried windows in South wall; North aisle has Quasi-plate tracery windows of 2 and 3 lights; both have buttresses between bays. Tower of 4 stages, with full height angled offset corner buttresses, plinth string courses, crenellated parapets with corner pinnacles, middle and corner gargoyles; moulded 4 centre arch West door with flat label over; above, cutting into second stage, a 3-light C15 traceried window in slight recess, string course angled as label; to all faces stage 4 a 2-light C15 traceried window with timber louvres; hexagonal plan staircase turret 3 stages high on North East side; single cusped light window in deep recess, without label, stage 3 South side. Interior mostly in a late C13 style. Good limewood panel set into oak panel reredos; Norman tub font set on later base; C15 panelled tower arch; fragments of medieval glass in West tower window; few Cl7 bench ends in North aisle. Probably of C12 foundation, the church served by monks from Bruton Priory until the dissolution. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST6727332719

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434661
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12565/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Barker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].