FLUSHING INN MONKS WAY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1251880
Date first listed:
12-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Apr-1994
Statutory Address:
5, MARKET STREET
Statutory Address:
FLUSHING INN, 4, MARKET STREET
Statutory Address:
MONKS WAY, 3, MARKET STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FLUSHING INN
MONKS WAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251880 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 20:34:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
5, MARKET STREET
Statutory Address:
FLUSHING INN, 4, MARKET STREET
Statutory Address:
MONKS WAY, 3, MARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Rother (District Authority)
Parish:
Rye
National Grid Reference:
TQ 92180 20347

Details

In the entry for: MARKET STREET TQ 9220 1/27 Number 3 Number 4 (The Old Flushing Inn) 12.10.51 Number 5

GV II

the entry shall be amended to read;

TQ 9220 RYE MARKET STREET

1/27 Number 3 (Monks Way) Number 4 (Flushing Inn) 12.10.51 Number 5

GV II* (star)

------------------------------------

1. 1578 MARKET STREET

No 5 No 4 (The Old Flushing Inn) No 5 TQ 9220 1/27 12.10.51.

II GV

2. C15 timber-framed houses with overhanging upper storeys, largely refaced in the C18. 2 storeys and attic. 5 windows in all. The ground floor is C18 brickwork painted. The 1st floor of Nos 3 and 5 is covered with plaster, but the studs and moulded bressumer below have recently been exposed to view in No 4. A dentilled eaves cornice was added in the C18. The ground floor of No 4 was underbuilt. Tiled roof. Nos 3 and 4 have 1 dormer each. Nos 3 and 5 have C18 sash windows. No 3 has 2 small bay windows on the ground floor (glazing bars missing), No 4 still has casement windows but they have been enlarged. A small blocked window space is visible on either side of the 1st floor window. No 4 has an obtusely pointed doorway with carved spandrels. Nos 3 and 4 originally consisted of a hall and 2 wings. The hall and part of the west wing are now in No 4, and the east wing is No 3. The VCH says that the ground floor of the hall has a C15 ceiling, an open C16 fireplace and a mural painting of 1536-1537, also the original roof of the upper storey. Behind the hall is a C16 addition. No 5 has an original extension to the south, with a chimney stack and large open fireplaces. Behind this is a small building of about 1500, with an overhanging upper storey on the west This building also has an arched doorway with carved spandrels, mediaeval cellars below Nos 3 and 4. In the 1st half of the C18 No 4 was an inn called the Flushing. During this period it was owned by the butcher John Breads who murdered Allen Greball in 1742. He was the last man to be hanged in Rye, and his skull and the iron frame in which he was gibbetted are preserved in the Town Hall.

Durrant House, Nos 3 to 7 (consec), Town Hall and L Rochelle, East Street form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ9217920345

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
434750
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].