NORTH WEST GATEWAY TO MONTACUTE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1251893

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: NORTH WEST GATEWAY TO MONTACUTE HOUSE, BISHOPSTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of NORTH WEST GATEWAY TO MONTACUTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1251893 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 03:07:30.

Location

Statutory Address: NORTH WEST GATEWAY TO MONTACUTE HOUSE, BISHOPSTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Montacute

National Grid Reference: ST 49645 17288

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4917 MONTACUTE CP BISHOPSTON (East side) 7/97 North-west gateway to Montacute House (formerly listed as Gate Piers W. of Montacute House) 19.4.61 - II Entrance gateway. Possibly of 1786, but might be relocated or new-built between 1845-52. Ham stone ashlar gatepiers and sidewalls; cast-iron gates. A length of some 30 metres of ashlar walling about 1.5 metre high with thin shaped coping, punctuated by square gatepiers about 3.5m high, having string, Adamesque frieze and flat cornice with steps and stone representations of flaming braziers on 4 ball feet, a symbol of the Phelips family; the gates are in a C16/17 strapwork style, date of manufacture uncertain; smaller plainer piers about 2.5 metres high at each end of wall. An important element in the setting of Montacute House (q.v) and set on the exact axis of the west front. The drive was constructed 1784-85, but was then described as curving south before approaching the house: some reorganisation of the grounds occurred 1845-52. (Girouard, and others, Montacute House, The National Trust, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4964517288

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 263552

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M et al, Montacute House, (1985)

End of official listing