CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252084

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Aug-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:24:13.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Shepton Montague

National Grid Reference: ST 68193 31746

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHEPTON MONTAGUE CP ST63SE LOWER SHEPTON 24.3.61 5/270 Church of Saint Peter

GV II

Church. C13 origins, mostly C15 work surviving serious fire of 1964. Cary stone cut and squared, Doulting stone dressings; copper sheet roof between coped gables with finials. Only 3-bay nave survives with tower doubling as porch on centre South side; extent of C13 chancel denoted by low stone walls. C13 tapered jambs to pointed chancel arch now blocked in East wall, including 4 stone fragments from former chancel, possibly C12 work. Nave plinthed, no buttresses; windows pointed arch 3-light C15 traceried, mostly restored 1855 and 1966, all under labels; matching 2-light window in shallow recess in West wall with carved head stops to arched label over blocked C15 4-centre arched doorway with square label and foliage in carved spandrils. Tower of 2-stages with angled offset buttresses to South East and South West corners; plinth, string courses, crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles; 4-centre arch with arched label into porch, with recessed 2-light window with restored C15 style tracery over; to top of tower on all faces simple windows with pairs of segmental arched lights filled with pierced stonework baffles, small block sundial at base of stage-2 South side. Porch has plaster panel and beam ceiling and fine moulded 4-centre arched inner door, with legend Port Esy-ds Thomas, worked into arch moulding. Inside was gutted by fire and all work renewed in 1966; stained glass to former East window, dated 1926, incorporated into centre window North wall; above South doorway fine hatchment of Queen Elizabeth II by Somerset Guild of Craftsmen. (Guide to Church, undated).

Listing NGR: ST6819331746

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435027

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing