16, THE CLOSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252131
Date first listed:
28-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
16, THE CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 16, THE CLOSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252131 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:22:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
16, THE CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Salisbury
National Grid Reference:
SU 14496 29658

Details

THE CLOSE 1. 1594 No 16 SU 1429 NE 4/45 28.2.52. SU 1429 NW 3/45 1I* GV 2. Irregular shaped block C16/C17 and earlier origin with rebuilding in C18 and C19. 2 storeys and attics red brick. The west wall at ground floor level has flint and stone rubble, traces of timber framing and overhang above. Hipped old tile roof. South end to North Walk has dormer window and on first floor a canted bay window sash lights, centre 4 panes wide, panelled apron, frieze and cornice, guaged triglyph ornament to frieze. The east front has coved moulded stone eaves cornice. 2 windows to both floors. mush framed sashes, glazing bars intact. Central door of 6 flush panels, rectangular fanlight with leaded radial glazing pattern. Doorcase of thin panelled pilasters, fluted consoles to cornice. Projecting gabled wing, parallel to north walk, one window facing south. Gable end tile hung with shaped tiles, 2 light leaded attic casement and sash window on ground floor. Around ground floor of this ruing a delicate wrought iron early C19 pergola, pointed arches faith delicate leaf ornament. Adjoining to north a low 2 storey red brick L plan extension with grey headers. Hipped old tile roofs, different levels. 1 small casement and sash window first floor, next to gabled wing, facing east with 2 light leaded casement on ground floor, C18/C19. South return front has semi-dormer and flush framed tripartite sash on ground floor glazing bars intact, plain door to left. Picturesque. Interior retained various fragments of timber structure: wall post and bracket in kitchen. On west side heavy chamfered tie beam and dragon beam. The porjecting gabled wing has 3 bays of trusses, windbraces partly obscured by plaster, other traces of roof structure in attics, collars and purlins. The first floor drawing room has C18 fielded pine panelling. W E Tower, Kempe's later partner lived here: various pieces of Kempe's glass also C15 quarries and coat of arms.

Nos 14, 14A, St Anne's Gate and No 15 form a very picturesque group.

Listing NGR: SU1449629661

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318980
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08119/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].