Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252171.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 23:40:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
St. Giles on the Heath
National Grid Reference:
SX 36235 90925



5/53 Stack House -


House. Circa mid C17 or earlier, remodelling of circa 1700, eaves raised 1938. Colourwashed rendered cob on stone rubble footings, asbestos slate roof gabled at ends, end stacks and axial stacks sited to the front of the ridge. A 3 room and through passage plan house, the hall stack backing on to the passage, the lower end room probably a kitchen, a heated parlour at the higher end. In circa 1700 a rear right projection was added for a dog-leg stair, this may originally have been gabled but in 1938 was brought under the same roof as the main range. Much of the internal joinery dates from 1700. The rear left lean-to may have been added as a service room to the kitchen in the C18. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window front with a chamfered cambered stone doorway into the through passage to the left. Most of the windows are 2- and 3-light C20 casements with glazing bars, the hall window to the right of the doorway is a circa late C18/early C19 3-light casement, 8 panes per light and the first floor 2-light casement above may be coeval. Ground floor window right is a tripartite sash, 6 over 6 panes. Interior The through passage plan survives intact, the passage has a slated floor and 2 chamfered 1/2 beams, stops may be concealed behind the wall plaster. The C20 grate to the hall may conceal earlier features. The house has a good set of circa 1700 2-panel doors, some with HL hinges, a coeval 6-panel door leads from the hall to the circa 1700 stair which has a ramped handrail and turned balusters. The hall window-seat with a panelled back survives, the inner room has a moulded plaster cornice. The remains of a granite mullioned window exists in the garden. The internal joinery is a particularly attractive feature of the house.

Listing NGR: SX3623590925


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10528/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].