This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VILLAGE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VILLAGE HALL

List entry Number: 1252331

Location

VILLAGE HALL, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Walsham-le-Willows

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Apr-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 281863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following item shall be added:

TM 07 SW WALSHAM LE WILLOWS THE STREET

3/118 Village Hall

GV II

Village hall. Dated 1888. Flemish bond red brick with white brick dressings. Fishscale slate roof with fleur-de-lis cresting to ridge tiles and moulded brick coping to gable parapets which have moulded brick kneelers. The east and west gables have chimneystacks with moulded white terracotta shafts; the north gable has a wrought-iron weathervane and the south gable has a small ball finial. PLAN: T-shaped, almost cruciform, on plan, with a porch to the main entrance in the north east angle. Internal arrangement not investigated. EXTERIOR: Single storey. The north front to the road is asymetrical and has a projecting gable- ended wing to the right with a 3-light ground floor window with a hood mould and a blocked round-headed opening above with a hood mould and flanking ventilation slits. 2-light windows to left and a brick porch in the angle with chamfered round arch on both sides, a ball finial on the corner of the parapet and C19 panelled inner doors. The left hand (east) gable end has 2 blind round-headed panels with linked hood moulds and a large fleur-de-lis in white brick in the gable above. The right hand west elevation is symmetrical and 3-bays, the centre gabled breaks forward with a large blind round-headed panel with a hood mould and a large quatrefoil in white brick in the gable above. The flanking bays have 2-light windows. On the plinth at the centre the foundation stone inscribed 'Walsham Public Hall. This stone was laid by Richard Martineau, President of the Walsham Institute .... 1888'. The The south gable end has a 2- light window with margin panes and 2 lancets in the gable above in white brick surrounds. All the windows are C19 and have thin moulded wooden mullions and transom bars. INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: TM0014171225

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 00141 71225

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252331 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 07:32:28.

End of official listing