Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1252342

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Oct-1988



Ordnance survey map of PARSONAGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252342 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 07:08:01.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Shepway (District Authority)

Parish: Elham

National Grid Reference: TR 18178 44761


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NORTH ELHAM 4/43 Parsonage Farmhouse 29.12.66 (formerly listed as Parsonage Farm Cottages)


Farmhouse. C13 or earlier, C16, and C17. Left section painted brick. Left gable end red and grey brick in a mixed bond. Right section rendered flint and chalk rubble with broad mortar joints, to undercroft, painted mathematical tiles to first floor. First floor of right gable end tile-hung. Plain tile roof. C13 or earlier undercroft, first floor above it, comprising two timber-framed bays, rebuilt in C16. Wider C17 addition to left, of two timber-framed bays and gable-end stack bay. 2 storeys, left section taller. Plat band to left section, continuous jetty to right section. Roof of left section gabled to left and right, right section hipped to right. Multiflue brick stack in front slope of roof to left end of left section. Irregular fenestration of 3 windows; one tripartite sash towards centre of left section and two two-light horizontally-sliding sashes to right section. Ground floor has tripartite sash to left section and one four-pane sash towards left end of right section. Panelled door with flat floating hood to right end of left section. Boarded door with segmental head to left gable end. Right gable end has stone jamb and head of blocked plain-chamfered rectangular window with broach stop, towards centre of undercroft wall. Red and grey brick lean-to to rear of each section, that to left with small single-storey bakehouse (?) projecting back at right-angles. Interior: undercroft has rendered chalk lump walls, springing along front wall for barrel vault, and part of vault soffit to right end. Blocked rectangular stone loop lights, splayed internally, towards right end and centre of front wall of undercroft. Blocked opening to right of centre of rear wall. C16 ceiling with cross and axial beams replaces vault. First floor over undercroft has gunstock- jowled principal posts and sans-purlin common-rafter roof with lapped collars. Right section has chamfered axial beam to ground floor, and aligned butt-purlin roof with collars; some of purlins re-used moulded C16 lengths. Plank door with pin-and-ring hinges. C17 style panelling beside first-floor fireplace. Said to have been owned by Merton College Oxford c.1270-1957.

Listing NGR: TR1819644727


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435330

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing