STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 70 METRES SOUTH WEST OF MONTACUTE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252407

Date first listed: 19-Apr-1961

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 70 METRES SOUTH WEST OF MONTACUTE HOUSE, THE BOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 70 METRES SOUTH WEST OF MONTACUTE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252407 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 23:53:34.

Location

Statutory Address: STABLE BLOCK, ABOUT 70 METRES SOUTH WEST OF MONTACUTE HOUSE, THE BOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Montacute

National Grid Reference: ST 49846 17120

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST4917 MONTACUTE CP THE BOROUGH (North side, off) 7/132 Stable block, about 70 metres south-west of Montacute House (formerly listed as Stabling at Montacute House) 19.4.61 GV II Stable block. C19, but with some earlier fragments. Ham stone ashlar; Welsh slate roof between coped gables having obelisk finials. 'U'-plan single-storey. East range is the long central portion, plain with central gabled 4-centre-arched throughway, over which is set a carved coat of arms dated 1598 on scroll; on either side of archway are shell-hood niches; two similar niches in side walls of throughway, and also 2 moulded cambered- arched doorways in rectangular recesses. Throughway arch matched on west side, with circular plaque over and flanking shell-hood recesses; to either side 3 bays of 2-light hollow-chamfer mullioned and transomed windows in wave-mould recesses without labels; from each end returns westward of 5 bays to match, the first 2 bays with similar windows: the north range has 3 open wagon sheds, the south range a coach-house opening now partly boarded up, and then 2 cambered-arched doorways with sidelights. Inside east range the horse-boxes survive, with feed-lofts over. A stable yard with stables, coach house, etc, indicated on this site on the rough 1782 survey, but the whole probably rebuilt between 1845-52. (Girouard, M and others, Montacute House, National Trust, 1985).

Listing NGR: ST4984617120

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 434954

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M et al, Montacute House, (1985)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 37 Somerset,

End of official listing