NUMBER 2 AND ATTACHED WALL SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL THE OLD SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252563

Date first listed: 23-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 23-May-1988

Statutory Address: NUMBER 2 AND ATTACHED WALL, 2, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, 1, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 2 AND ATTACHED WALL
SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL
THE OLD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 21:05:49.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 2 AND ATTACHED WALL, 2, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, 1, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: THE OLD SCHOOL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: North Warwickshire (District Authority)

Parish: Polesworth

National Grid Reference: SK 26199 02589

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

POLESWORTH HIGH STREET

SK2OSE (North side) 5/83 The Old School and Nos.1 23/11/51 (School House) and 2 and attached wall

GV ll

Includes those parts formerly listed as No.1 and No.2. Former school. Front range, the Old School, was completely rebuilt 1818; the rear ranges, Nos.I and 2, are early/mid C19, All are of Flemish bond chequer brick with sandstone ashlar dressings. Old piain-tile roofs have stone-coped _ gable parapets; brick and stacks. Courtyard plan. Tudor style. The Old School is of one high storey; 2-1-2 bays. Symmetrical front has alternating quoins and moulded cornice. Centre has octagonal angle turrets with panelled tops and shaped cupolas with ball finials. Chamfered Tudor-arched doorway has studded double-leaf doors and hood mould. Moulded framed panel above has coat of arms and the inscription 'SCHOLA PAUPERUM -PUELLARUM'; above the panel is the inscription 'SOLI DEO GLORIA'. Moulded cornice and parapet. Central gable is flanked by obelisks with projecting pedestals on corbels, and has stone clock face and ball finial. Other bays have 3-light chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows with hood moulds. Fragments of brick parapet, now removed, remain at the angles which have obelisks on pedestals. Large central stone octagonal cupola has keyed round arches, moulded entablature and lead ogee roof with weathervane. Rear, towards the courtyard, has blocked Tudor-arched doorway with late C20 casement inserted, and 2-light mullioned window above. Lower Tudor-arched doorways with studded ribbed doors between first and second and third and fourth bays. 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. Interior not inspected. No.1 at right angles is linked by a stone-coped wall approximately 2.5 metres high with studded door to Station Road. Nos.1 and 2 are identical. Each is of central staircase plan. 2 storeys; 5-window range. Symmetrical front front has alternating quoins and moulded cornices. Projecting chamfered Tudor-arched doorway has moulded cornice, and studded ribbed door. 3-light recessed chamfered stone mullioned windows. Shallow-pitched roof has coped gable parapets with kneelers; brick ridge and end stacks with square shafts. Small single-storey ranges set back. No.1 has straight-flight staircase with stick balusters. The courtyard is enclosed by a brick wall with 2 Tudor-arched doorways, linking Nos.1 and 2. The school was founded by Sir Francis Nethersole in 1638 and first Nethersole in 167--B, and built 1655. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire: ol lV, p188; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p374)

Listing NGR: SK2619902589

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435564

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 188
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 374

End of official listing