CLERKENLEAP FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252650

Date first listed: 03-May-1995

Statutory Address: CLERKENLEAP FARMHOUSE, A38

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLERKENLEAP FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 04:35:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CLERKENLEAP FARMHOUSE, A38

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills (District Authority)

Parish: Kempsey

National Grid Reference: SO 85411 51139

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:-

KEMPSEY SOBSSE A38 1431-0/4/10005 (West side) Clerkenleap Farmhouse II

House, formerly a farmhouse. Circa late C16 and C17; remodelled circa 1840. Red brick in Flemish and English bonds and timber-framed. Plain clay tile roof with gable ends and gabled at front. Brick gable-end and axial stacks. PLAN: The main range is a circa 1840 remodelling of a C17 house with a stair-tower to the rear of the left-hand end; adjoining the back of the stair-tower there is an earlier C17 or late C16 timber-framed wing, which became the kitchen wing to the 1840 house. The remodelled front range has a plan with three rooms at the front and a side entrance porch to an axial corridor behind the three rooms; as well as the earlier kitchen wing there is a long circa C17/18 outbuilding attached to the back of the right-hand end. The circa 1840 remodelling is in Tudor style.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and tall attic. Symmetrical 3-bay east front with three gables with bargeboards and pendants; chamfered brick window openings with C19 3-light casements with glazing bars, the ground floor with transoms and in projecting bays to left and right. The left [south] return has C19 gabled brick porch and earlier wing to left with 5-light casement with cambered brick arch and smaller 4-light window above. Timber-framing in the gable of the stair-tower at the rear to the right; on the left a long brick outbuilding wing with timber-framing in gable-end.

INTERIOR: The main front range has chamfered ceiling beams with cyma stops, C18 joinery including panelled doors and chimneypiece on first floor with eared architrave; other C19 joinery. Good C17 winder staircase in tower with closed string, moulded handrail, square newels and symmetrical turned balusters. Exposed in the attic timber-framed partitions and some re-used panelling. l-bay timber-framed rear wing has kitchen on ground floor with chamfered ceiling beams with step-stops and in chamber above exposed storey-posts, tie-beam, queen-struts, collar and curved windbraces.

NOTE: Clerkenleap was the seat of the Winslows; Edward Winslow sailed in the Mayflower in 1620 and became Governor of Plymouth Colony. Clerkenleap was also the birthplace of Treadway Russell Nash [1725-1811], the historian and author of 'Collections for the History of Worcestershire', and editor of Samuel Butler's 'Hudibras'. SOURCE: Victoria County History.

Listing NGR: SO8541151139

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 435687

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924)

End of official listing