NAZARETH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252827

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1993

Statutory Address: NAZARETH HOUSE, HASTINGS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NAZARETH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 02:29:03.

Location

Statutory Address: NAZARETH HOUSE, HASTINGS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TQ7547408544

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list;

TQ 70 NE BEXHILL HASTINGS ROAD

8/10000 Nazareth House II

Purpose-built house for aged and infirm. Original wing built in 1893-4 by Leonard Stokes for the Sisters of Nazareth, extended by him to the west in 1911 to provide further living quarters and a bigger chapel and further extended by him in 1926 at the rear. The 1937 east wing designed by Pugin and Pugin as playroom, classroom and dormitories is now a Roman Catholic Primary School in separate occupation and with a separate address and is not included in the listing and is not listable. Original 1893 wing is of roughcast with half-hipped slate roof with 2 cemented chimneystacks. 3 storeys. 11 windows. Gabled dormer with 10-light window with late C20 glazing. 18 pane sashes. Recessed doorcase with square piers and balustrading over with statues of St Joseph and the Virgin and Child. Late C20 sunlounges obscure ground floor. Rear elevation has 2 corner turrets with crenellated parapets and triple gables between with recessesed centre behind giant round-headed arch. 1 storey 1926 additions by Stokes at right angles. Stokes west wing of 1911 is of brown brick with red brick and some stone dressings and hipped slate roof. South front is of 2 storeys. 9 windows with central chapel on first floor and 2 blank windows on first floor right to small chapel. Windows are 18-pane sashes. Aprons between floors, end quoins and plinth. Tall central gable cross and characteristic quoins of alternate brick and stone. 2 storey bay with lancet window each side of chapel. Side elevation has first of all projecting 3 bay wing in matching style then set back. 4 bay section with central tall brick chimneystack with stone stripes, bays separated by red brick and stone full height pilasters and 3, 5-light traceried windows to first floor chapel. Ground floor windows mainly late C20 aluminium replacements. C20 corner porch. Rear elevation dominated by large traceried chapel window in gable. Principal feature of interior is the first floor chapel which has a ribbed vaulted ceiling and original piers and gallery incorporating confessional. Marble altarpiece. Smaller chapel with screen was originally restricted to nuns. [See A Stuart Grey "Edwardian Architecture" P338]

Listing NGR: TQ7519208524

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 292032

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gray, A S, Edwardian Architecture A Biographical Dictionary, (1985), 338

End of official listing