CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1252909

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, MOUNT VERNON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 08:00:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF THE SACRED HEART, MOUNT VERNON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 36148 90831

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

SJ 39 SE MOUNT VERNON STREET

4/2000 Church of the Sacred Heart

- II

Roman Catholic church. 1886; designed by the leading Roman Catholic church practice, Goldie, Child & Goldie. Coursed rubble; Welsh slate roof. Plan: nave (7 bays), chancel (2 bays), both with N and S aisles; W narthex and SW transept (probably the baptistery); polygonal apsidal E end (sanctuary). W end stands high above steps with retaining walls, the gatepiers gabled finials and traceried panels and iron railings (all included in this listing). W front: 7-light W window: polygonal turret (to SW) with open traceried belfry openings and spire: 4-bay northex with 2 2-light windows flanked by side doors. 3 light W window to N aisle. The 2 bay W elevation of the SW transept forms an integral part of the W end composition with 2 plate-tracery windows with parapet. 3-light clerestory windows with alternating form of Decorated tracery pattern; 3-light windows to S aisle only (the N side originally stood adjacent to now demolished buildings and has no windows. 2-light windows to sanctuary, set high over plain walling with tall gabled buttresses at the angles. Interior: nave and chancel arcades with octagonal piers and deeply moulded arches of equi- lateral section. Roof principals supported on tall wall shaft and stone corbels. Sanctuary furnishings; an important group designed by Pugin & Pugin (1891): marble (or polished alabaster) panelled reredos of 2 tiers, blank traceried square-headed bays below, those above with Biblical scenes, the prin- cipal divisions with niches containing statues by Boulton of Cheltenham (with elaborate canopies and plinths of clustered shafts); richly carved pinnacles and brattishing. Contemporary altar with carved fronted panels and gabled rere-altar with attendant angels. Full set of glass. Painted boarded ceiling.

Listing NGR: SJ3614890831

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436022

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing