TURNOURS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1252964
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1991
Statutory Address:
TURNOURS HALL, GRAVEL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TURNOURS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252964.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 10:58:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
TURNOURS HALL, GRAVEL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Epping Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Chigwell
National Grid Reference:
TQ 45972 95722

Details

TQ 49 NE CHIGWELL GRAVEL LANE Turnours Hall 2/103 II House. Circa C17 origin, on a Medieval site, substantially remodelled and extended in circa 1860s or 1870s (dated 1871). Red brick in Flemish bond with moulded brick dressings. Plain tile gabled roof. Brick stacks with multiple octagonal and diagonally- set moulded shafts. Plan comprises entrance hall with stairwell behind and cross-wing on left extending to late C19 chapel at rear behind small courtyard which is enclosed on right (north) side by a later C19 service wing. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Asymmetrical 4-bay east front, bays 1 and 3 gabled, bay 1 a cross-wing, both with 2 storey square bay windows with 5- light windows and overhanging gables on moulded terracotta brackets, moulded brick string courses and quatrefoil panels above first floor windows in the bay windows. Casements with 4-centred arch lights and leaded panes, those in bay 2 and 4 of 2-lights, those in gables witbpolygonal heads with brick hoodmoulds. Similar casements in half-hipped dormers. 4-centred arch doorway in bay 2 with panelled double doors. South elevation: 2 right hand gabled bays treated similarly, but left hand section appears to be later C19 extension with gabled oriel overwide bay. North elevation has gabled bayo left similar to those on east front and later C19 wing projecting on right with 5-bay 4-centred arch and arcade on ground floor and 3-light windows above, the centre in brick oriel. At rear (west) 2 gables on left and chapel on right. with 3 Gothic Y-tracery windows with cusped lights. Interior: Victorian gothic joinery including chimneypieces and large stair case lit by stained glass windows. Plaster relief in hall probably by Ada Palmer. Hall chimneypiece replaces in one illustrated in RCHM. Dining Room has C18 fielded panelling and chimneypiece. Chapel has 1903 memorial :8 fielded panelling and Palmer. stained glass to Ada. Note: Turnours hall was the home from about 1860 - 1914 of Ada Palmer, the sculptress and painter, whose studio 'The Studio' (qv) was a converted barn to the south. Sources: VCH Vol. 4 pp20 and 21. RCHM Vol 2 (1921) pp 49 and 247 (photo).

Listing NGR: TQ4597295722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
118700
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex Central and South West, (1921), 49
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Essex, (1956), 20-21

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16435/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr M W Keogh. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].