Hillyfields Sixth Form Centre

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1252990
Date first listed:
27-Apr-1992
Statutory Address:
Hillyfields Sixth Form Centre, Eastern Road

Map

Ordnance survey map of Hillyfields Sixth Form Centre
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1252990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 00:12:51.

Location

Statutory Address:
Hillyfields Sixth Form Centre, Eastern Road

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 37234 75213

Details

TQ 3775 779-/13/10001 BROCKLEY EASTERN ROAD Hillyfields Sixth Form Centre (formerly Brockley County School)

II* School. Three builds. North part of 1884-5 by Charles Evans as the West Kent Grammar School, extended southwards by the London County Council for the Brockley County Secondary School in 1913-14 and 1921. North part of 1884-5 asymmetrical in Jacobean style. Red brick with stone dressings, tiled roof and brick chimneystacks. Two storeys; five windows.

End gables with kneelers, each having double casement window to each floor under brick relieving arches. Central wooden octagonal cupola with lead roof and iron weathervane. Parapet. Left bay has casement window to each floor, central bay has stepped casement to ground floor in round-headed arch and right side has two-storey canted bay with balustraded parapet and pedimented entrance with half columns. Large southward extensions to the south by the LCC in 1913-14 and 1921. These include an assembly hall to the east, one storey red brick with gable to east with large traceried window, two hipped dormers and two smaller traceried windows to the side elevations.

Internally the front vestibule has some indifferent quality murals with historical subjects by Geoffrey Cook, David Hitchcock and R Smith and there is a staircase of 1913-14 of iron railings with mahogany handrail and blue, tiled dado.

The exceptional feature of the building is the series of mural paintings carried out in the Assembly Hall between the years 1933 and 1936 by four painters connected with the Royal College of Art; Charles Mahoney, Evelyn Dunbar, Mildred Eldridge and Violet Martin. The hall is a Perpendicular style building of five bays with hammer beam roof and gallery to east, with five wall panels, a mural to the gallery front and murals under the gallery. The north side west panel depicts "Fortune and the Boy at the Well" by Charles Mahoney, the north side east panel depicts "The Country Girl and the Milk Pail" by Evelyn Dunbar, the south side east panel is entitled "The Bird Catcher and the Skylark" by Mildred Eldridge (dated 1934) and the south side west panel "The King and 2 Shepherds" by Violet Martin. The gallery front has murals by Evelyn Dunbar depicting the Hilly Fields. There are allegorical figures to left and right, one holding a plan of the school, the other a plan of Hilly Fields. Boys in contemporary dress return from school along the railings entwined with plants. Above are two figures of boys, one in rugby clothes, the other as a scholar. The wider gallery spandrels and lunettes are mainly by Evelyn Dunbar but three panels are by Charles Mahoney, mostly from Aesop's "Fables". The paintings belong to the Romantic and Narrative School of English painting influenced by the Pre-Raphaelites. The best known painters of this group were Stanley Spencer and Eric Ravilious. These murals are considered some of the most important achievements of C20 mural painting. Such murals are rare, including these, Whistler's Tate Gallery Refreshment Room murals of 1926, murals at Morley College, Lambeth of 1929 by Edward Bawden, Eric Ravilious and Charles Mahoney (some destroyed by bomb damage) and murals in the village hall at Wood Green Hampshire by Robert Baker and Edward Payne. The high perspective viewpoint of the hall panels, raised 6 feet off the ground, is of particular interest. Also, no work of comparable scale by Evelyn Dunbar exists; Charles Mahoney's work at Brockley is better than his murals in the Lady Chapel of Campion Hall and Mildred Eldridge painted only one other public work.

The panel "Fortune and the Boy at the Well" has featured in an exhibition at the Barbican, "The Last Romantics" in 1989.

This building is listed solely because of the high quality and rarity of the mural paintings carried out between 1933 and 1936.

Listing NGR: TQ3723475213

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
203484
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 30 April, (1987)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/08367/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].