PAIR OF WAREHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253008

Date first listed: 16-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: PAIR OF WAREHOUSES, 20 AND 22, COLLEGE LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PAIR OF WAREHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253008 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:23:20.

Location

Statutory Address: PAIR OF WAREHOUSES, 20 AND 22, COLLEGE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Liverpool (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 34662 90102

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following buildings shall be added:

SJ 3490 SE LIVERPOOL COLLEGE LANE 392- /53/10029 Nos. 20 AND 22 Pair of Warehouses

II

A pair of former warehouses, now offices, workshops and stores. Early to mid C19, with late C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick, rendered on side elevations, and originally roofed in Welsh slate, laid to diminishing courses, now replaced on No. 22 by profiled sheeting. Narrow plan form, with tall gables facing the street. FRONT: 3 storeys and attics above a semi basement. Each gable with a tier of double doorways to the centre, the cill beam of each opening forming the lintel of the opening below. Above the uppermost doorway, in the gable apex, a projecting hoist beam. Flanking the second and third floor doorways, on the outer corners are small, unglazed oval openings with iron grilles; on the inner bays are 2-light windows, beneath shallow segmental arches. No. 20 has plain, vertically-planked doors set between plain timber jambs, to 3 upper floors, and a widened or inserted double doorway to the ground floor, beneath a metal beam. Door opening with metal railed door below oval lights may denote stair position. No.22 has a remodelled ground floor, with C19 shop front detailing below second floor doorway, including fascia with console brackets and cornice. Below this to the left, a 2-panel door, with tall 12 pane light above. To the centre, a tall 3 light glazed opening infills the former double doorway above street level. To the right, a modified 2-light window, now with C20 joinery. Low double doorway below central glazed opening. To the right, entrance to passage which passes under No. 22 gives access to narrow rear courtyard with single storeyed workshop range to north side. Interiors not inspected. These warehouses represent early small-scale examples of the distinctive narrow-bodied warehouses built in the vicinity of the inland dock developed by Thomas Steers between 1709 and 1721, (now Canning Place), and to the rear of the massive riverside dock developments between 1824 and 1860. They are the industrial vernacular of this part of Liverpool, and contrast in scale and form with the architecture of the grander riverside docks.

Listing NGR: SJ3466290102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436130

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing