CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1253074
Date first listed:
15-Feb-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, JUDE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253074 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:19:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, JUDE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Newham (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 39828 81146

Details

The following building shall be added:

TQ 38 SE CANNING TOWN JUDE STREET (north-west side) 251-/3/10002 CHURCH OF ST LUKE

II

Church. 1873-5 by Giles and Gane for Henry Boyd, vicar of neighbouring St Marks from which the new parish was detached. Yellow stock brick with red rubbed window arches and bands, stone dressings, slate roof. The church is orientated northwards, the direction of the liturgical eastern apse. Two-bay transepts either side of chancel, five-bay nave (two steps lower) with arcades and narrow lean-to aisles. Double door in stone porch under 2-light window with decorated plate tracery at west end. Paired lancets to nave linked by bands; 2-light plate tracery to transepts; in the apse an arcade of lancets under stone hoods with banding and floreated roundels, alternately pierced. Between the transepts on line of chancel is a single stone buttress, above which rises an octagonal timber fleche. The interior has two five-bay arcades with roll mouldings and hoods, stylised floral capitals. Elaborate timber roof with turned tie-beams, king posts, collars and bracing. Chancel denoted by paired truss on stone columns on pointed stops reminiscent of the style of William Butterfield. Open ironwork screen to south transept; the north divided from the first to include vestries and organ chamber. The pulpit, lectern, litany desk and communion rails of wrought iron date from the 1890s. The chancel apse is entirely panelled with stone arcading in three tiers, filled c.1893 with mosaics, the tall middle range depicting the twelve apostles with at their centre a reredos showing the Ascension. The three east lancets depict St Luke, Christ and St Cedd, c.1950. Source. Council for the Care of Churches, report December 1980.

--------------------------------------- In the entry for:

TQ 38 SE CANNING TOWN JUDE STREET (north-west side) 251-/3/10002 St Luke's Church

II

the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Church. 1873-5 by Giles and Gane for Henry Boyd, vicar of neighbouring St Mark's from which the new parish was detached. Yellow stock brick with red rubbed window arches and bands, stone dressings, slate roof. The church is oriented northwards, the direction of the liturgical eastern apse. Two-bay transepts either side of chancel, five-bay nave (two steps lower) with arcades and narrow lean-to aisles. Double door in stone porch under 2-light window with decorated plate tracery at west end. Paired lancets to nave linked by bands; 2-light plate tracery to transepts; in the apse an arcade of lancets under stone hoods with banding and floreated roundels, alternately pierced. Between the transepts on line of chancel is a single stone buttress, above which rises an octagonal timber fleche. The interior has two five-bay arcades with roll mouldings and hoods, stylised floral capitals. Elaborate timber roof with turned tie-beams, king posts, collars and bracing. Chancel denoted by paired truss on stone columns on pointed stops reminiscent of the style of William Butterfield. Many original fittings removed, but there survives open ironwork screen to south transept; the north aisle divided from the first to include vestries and organ chamber. Communion rails of wrought iron date from the 1890s. The chancel apse is entirely panelled with stone arcading in three tiers, filled c.1893 with mosaics, the tall middle range depicting the twelve apostles with at their centre a reredos showing the Ascension. The three east lancets depict St Luke, Christ and St Cedd, c.1950.

Listing NGR: TQ3982881146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436204
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Report, 1980,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Feb 2004
Reference: IOE01/11751/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Anthony Rau. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].