Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253121.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 20:31:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
Lewisham (London Borough)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36559 72125


The Livesey Memorial Hall was built in the north-west corner of the South Suburban Gas Company’s principal site at Bell Green, which in 1911 employed 380 men. Much of the building work was carried out by the Gas Company itself. Sir George Thomas Livesey (1834-1908, knighted in 1902), whom the Livesey Memorial Hall commemorates, was a director of the company for 30 years; an engineer, industrialist and philanthropist, he initiated many technical improvements in the design of gas holders. Livesey was the builder of the Greenwich Gas Works (1883) and was a pioneer of co-partnership (profit-sharing) within the industry. Minutes recording the decision to commemorate Livesey through the erection of a recreation room for the employees note the suitability of the memorial, ‘Bearing in mind the very great interest which was always taken by Sir George in all matters affecting the well-being of the employees’. The hall became the focus of the gaswork’s recreational facilities; a bowling green and tennis courts were also provided in the same part of the site, for the use of the employees. The bowling green survives to the north of the hall, enclosed to the west by the boundary wall; a pavilion, not shown on the 1936 map though  possibly moved from another location, also survives. The listed war memorial (LE 1253111), erected in the hall’s forecourt in 1920, and also enclosed by the wall, commemorates those employees of the South Suburban Gas Company who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 02/11/2018

TQ 3672 779-/31/10053


Livesey Memorial Hall Boundary Wall


Wall, 1911, built to the west of the Livesey Memorial Hall (LE 1253110), a recreation hall of the same date by SY Shoubridge, Engineer to the South Suburban Gas Company, for the Company’s employees.

MATERIALS: London stock brick with red brick borders and Ruabon terracotta caps and coping.

PLAN: the wall forms the western boundary of the hall, and of the bowling green to the north, and encloses the war memorial in the hall’s forecourt.

DETAILS: the wall is divided into sections by panelled piers with shallow pyramidal caps. Each section has a curved coped top, those to either side of the entrance-way rising to support volutes flanking the taller gate piers. The double iron gates are made by Macfarlane and Co of Glasgow.

Listing NGR: TQ3655972125


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01859/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hubert C. Blackburn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].