LATTERS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253488

Date first listed: 24-Aug-1990

Statutory Address: LATTERS FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LATTERS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253488 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:32:28.

Location

Statutory Address: LATTERS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)

Parish: Capel

National Grid Reference: TQ6224446450

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 64 NW 1/296

CAPEL TUDELEY HALE Latters Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse. Late C16/early C17 (maybe medieval origins), some C19 and C20 modernisation, including a circa 1900 crosswing. The main block is timber- framed, ground floor level is underbuilt with Flemish bond red brick with burnt headers and the frame above is tile-hung. Crosswing is Flemish bond red brick. Brick stacks and chimneyshafts.

Plan: Farmhouse is set back from the road and faces east. The main block has a 3-room-and-through-passage plan. Unheated service end room at the right (north) end. Next to it is the passage and then the hall with an axial stack backing onto the passage. The inner room/parlour at the left end has been re- built as a 2-room parlour crosswing with an axial stack between the rooms.

It is not possible to describe the development of the house since no internal inspection was possible at the time of this survey. However the shape and layout of the house suggests that it is a medieval open hall house, probably heated by an open hearth fire. If so, the hall was floored over and the hall stack inserted probably in the late C16/early C17. The inner room or parlour was rebuilt (maybe incorporating original fabric) circa 1900.

House is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace of the main block.

Exterior: 1:3-window front. The one-window section to left in the gable end of the circa 1900 crosswing contains original sash windows with margin panes (more in a bay window in the left end). The 3-window section in the main block is nearly symmetrical and arranged around the passage front doorway; a C20 part-glazed plank door behind a contemporary gabled porch. The windows are C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars. The main roof is half-hipped to right and the lower crosswing is gable-ended to the front.

Interior: Not available for inspection at the time of this survey. Nevertheless an original arch-headed oak doorway was seen on the service side of the passage.

Listing NGR: TQ6224446450

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436720

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing