UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253671

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1986

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 12:53:09.

Location

Statutory Address: UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Needham Market

National Grid Reference: TM 08922 54960

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST) TM 0854

3/109 United Reformed Church (formerly listed as 9.12.55 Congregational Chapel)

- II

Church, built as a Congregational Chapel in 1837. In the Greek Revival Style. Gable front. Gault brick facade with dressings of limestone. The side walls are of red brick. Slated roof. 2 storeys, 5 windows. A central portico in antis has Ionic Columns supporting a simple cornice and a string at 1st floor level. Above is a slight set-forward 3 bays wide. A full-width gable pediment has moulded limestone copings and a central oeil-de-boeuf window, stone framed. The 1st storey windows to the balcony are of strongly Vitruvian form with a cornice above each; leaded stained glass in the Art Nouveau style. Entrance doorways flank the portico, with broad paired flat pilasters and deep cornice, a pair of 3-panelled doors with oblong fanlight. Further similar doors within the portico. The facade returns for one bay only. A short timber-framed range to rear has a steeply-pitched plaintiled roof and may be a fragment of the earlier chapel on this site, built in 1716 and enlarged 1818. In 1755, the Rev. Joseph Priestly, discoverer of oxygen, was appointed Minister here.

Listing NGR: TM0892254960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436941

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing