CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1253980

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1993

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BRACKLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1253980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 01:50:28.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, BRACKLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bromley (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 36994 70404

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added:

BRACKLEY ROAD TQ 37 SE (east side) 785-/1/10010 CHURCH OF ST PAUL II

Parish church. Nave of 1868 and tower of 1872, architects Smith and Williams, with porch, clergy vestry and choir vestry added in 1884 by Sydney J Bartlett architect of Kirkdale, Beckenham and extension on south side of church added by Gordon Cook in the 1960s. English Decorated style. Built of Kentish rags tone with slate roof. Nave of 5 bays with N and S aisles, chancel and SW tower with steeple. Tower is of 3 stages, surmounted by a broached stone spire with lucarnes. The top or bell stage has 2 double trefoliated openings with louvred openings. Second stage has trefoliated lancet to each face surmounted by clock. First stage has trefoliated opening and turret. Pointed arched doorcase with colonnettes and trefoliated arched doorcase with floral decoration to spandrels. Angle buttresses. West window is traceried with trefoliated lancets and 6-pointed star. Aisles have 5 windows with double trefoliated windows with drip-mouldings separated by buttresses. Chancel has similar windows and large west window replaced after war damage in 1940 by W Aiken of Sutton. Interior of nave has stone arcade resting on round piers. Roof of arch-braced type supported on stone corbels. Original wooden pews and octagonal carved pulpit on marble base. Alabaster chancel wall (metal screen missing since Second World War) by Messrs Bartlett c1884. Font replaced in 1913 by a copy of Thorwaldsen's font carved in Rome in 1823 by Evelyn Hellicar. Aisles have arch-braced roofs and north chancel aisle has 2 windows by Clayton and Bell, "The Good Shepherd" and "The Light of the World". Chancel retains to south wall a fragment of a mural decoration by Clayton and Bell illustrating "The Marriage Feast at Cana".

[ Pevsner BOE "London 2 South" p159. ]

Listing NGR: TQ3699470404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358661

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 159

End of official listing