This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1254091

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Redgrave

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 437472

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDGRAVE CHURCH ROAD (NORTH SIDE) TM 07 NE 2/58 Church of St. Mary 29.7.55 GV I Parish church. C14, altered C15, vestry added late C16, C16 tower refaced in late C18 at expense of R. Holt. Repaired 1850 with late C19 and early C20 alterations. Flint rubble with ashlar dressings, some flushwork, red brick and cement rendering. Red brick vestry and tower, the latter refaced with white bricks and ashlar dressings. Slate roofs, leaded aisle roofs. A large church with aisles, south porch, west tower and north vestry. Tall square unbuttressed 4 stage west tower: offsets to plinth and to each stage, quoining, to west a boarded door with a louvred round head, impost blocks, in 2nd stage to west and 3rd stage to north small round headed windows, belfry openings are louvred and round headed, plain parapet with stepped pinnacles, to north a 2 stage stair turret. Nave to west has 2 and 3 stage buttresses and signs of slightly narrower C14 roof, moulded kneelers to C15 coped parapet. C15 nave clerestorey of 10 windows, cusped rectilinear tracery, segmental pointed arched heads, hoodmoulds continued across as a string course below which to south are flushwork panels of varying designs; to east a coped gable parapet. South aisle has south porch to west of centre: outer wave moulded pointed arch, shafted responds with moulded caps, outer continuous moulding, hoodmould, a sundial in steep gable, coped parapet, black glazed pantiled roof. Inside porch a 2 bay roof with small single hammerbeams, arched braces to collars, butt purlins; elaborate C14 inner entrance, double shafted jambs with stiff leaf caps, wave moulded pointed arch with fleurons and lion's heads, mask stopped hoodmould, above a statue niche with an angel corbel to pedestal, flanking king and queen masks. To east of porch a C14 2- light pointed arched window with trefoiled lights, curvilinear tracery, elsewhere on aisle to south three C15 3-light Perpendicular windows with cusped ogee headed lights. Straight and angle 2 stage buttresses with moulded bases, gargoyles with a string course to embattled parapet with small quatrefoil panels. South aisle west end 2-light C14 window, south aisle east end 3-light C14 window with cusped ogee headed lights, crocketed reticulated tracery in a pointed arch, mask stopped hood mould. North aisle has a blocked door opposite south entrance, a wave moulded pointed arch with hoodmould, 2 C14 2-light windows with differing tracery, towards east a large 3-light C16 Perpendicular window with a depressed arched head, towards west a 3-light C17 window with lancets in a square surround, straight and angle 2 stage buttresses, plain parapet. North aisle west end 2-light C14 window, north aisle east end 3-light C15 Perpendicular window. Chancel: large C14 east window of 7 lights, complex curvilinear tracery in a pointed arch, hoodmould, 3 stage angle buttresses with stooled statue niches with trefoiled gablet heads, C19 steeply pitched parapet behind original shallow coped parapet. To south a low side door, wave moulded pointed arch with a crocketed ogee hoodmould with mask stops, flanking 3 stage buttresses as to east and outer tall 3-light C14 windows with differing curvilinear tracery, mask stopped hoodmoulds. To north 2 similar 3-light C14 windows and an intermediate buttress. North east vestry: English bond brickwork with a plinth, to north an oval window splayed outwards, shallow gable, to east a 3-light C18 window with a segmental head. Interior: pointed chancel arch, double wave moulded with complex shafted jambs with fillets, moulded caps: blocked triple chamfered pointed tower arch with C18 round arch to tower. Tall 5 bay nave arcades, quatrefoil piers with inner fillets, moulded caps, double wave moulded pointed arches, mask stopped hoodmoulds. C15 10 bay nave roof with alternate single hammerbeam and queen strut trusses, posts on mask corbels with carved arched braces to brattished hammerbeams and tie beams, arched braces to cambered collars with short king posts, on tie beams are queen struts with arched struts to collars and principals, double butt purlins, ridge piece; all main timbers are roll moulded, double brattished wallplates. Lean-to aisle roofs with arched braces to principals, brattished wallplate to north. C19 6 bay chancel roof, arch braced collars. C16 vestry roof has a large central pendant drop, radiating ribs are arch braced at ends with smaller pendant drops. A south aisle window rear arch has shafted jambs, chancel windows have moulded rear arches with mask stopped hoodmoulds. Chancel south window towards east has lower part blocked by C15 triple sedilia; canted canopies with lierne vaulting, rectilinear tracery, crocketed ogee heads, Tudor rose and brattished cornice with angels; adjacent piscina with a cusped ogee head, crocketed with lion stops to hoodmould. South aisle piscina, cusped ogee head with crocketing and lierne vaulting, quatrefoil bowl. In north aisle: C14 octagonal font, raised on a step, simple stem, masks at bases of bowl faces of which have crocketed gables with varying tracery, intermediate shafts, brattished head; on wall is reset central section of 1709 reredos, Commandments with painted figures of Moses and Aaron, cherubs, fluted pilasters, huge outer volutes, cornice with urn finials; below an unattributed C18 painting of the Holy Family; a C17 or C18 long school desk with much graffiti from Chapel of St. Botolph, Botesdale Civil Parish (q.v.), a C19 bier. In south aisle over entrance are Royal Arms of Charles II, carved wood oval. In nave an iron bound C15 chest with an early padlock; C19 seating, Gothic pulpit, brass lectern, large organ of 1890 by Casson of Shepherd's Bush. In chancel a late C17 Communion table with turned legs, patterned top rail, C19 Communion rails. Monuments: north aisle east end; a large chest tomb to Sir N. Bacon, d.1624, and wife Anne Butts, 1616 by N. Stone with tomb made by B. Janssen. Black and white marble, moulded cap and base, recessed angle pilasters with bulbous bases, long side inscriptions in richly scrolled cartouches, short sides have ornamented shields of arms and a cartouche, on top of tomb are recumbent life size effigies. In adjacent east wall 2 cusped niches contain pieces of armour associated with heraldic funeral of Sir N. Bacon. On adjacent north wall is a small marble tablet to R Bacon, d.1652, arms in cartouche and a swag, attributed to J. Stone. North aisle west end was formerly a Bacon family chapel designed by N. Stone; black and white marble paving with a cross fleury on a raised lozenge with 'ELEVETUR' incised, 2 round headed niches with key and impost blocks in walls, 4 black and white marble wall tablets, that to Sir E. Bacon, d.1685, with a surround in style of Stone, scrolled sides with seraphs, arms in a cartouche with garlands above, that to his wife Elizabeth, d.1690, is similar, 2 early C17 tablets with plain surrounds. Chancel north wall: a large and elaborate tripartite monument to Sir J. Holt, Lord Chief Justice, d.1710, by T. Green of Camberwell. White, grey and black marbles with some gilt. Seated and wigged effigy in judicial robes with flanking standing figures of Justice and Vigilance, aedicule with paired Corinthian columns and outer pilasters, a draped arch behind, arms above, on cornice are paired and single putti, rising over arms. a segmental headed cornice surmouted by an urn with garlands, flanking cockerel and crane, base steps outward with scrolled volutes to central inscribed panel. Also on north wall a,tablet to children of E. Bacon, erected 1660, black and white marble, rustic in style of E. Marshall, raised inscribed panel, voluted sides to aedicule, consoles and cherub below, putti with festoon and a segmental pediment. On chancel south wall an oval black and white marble tablet to Lady Gawdy, d.1621, by N. Stone, garlands on sides, a cherub below, arms and a segmental pediment above; also a simple tablet to children of E. Bacon, 1683. Chancel floor: a good figural brass of Anne Butts, d.1609, a poem below figure, intended for a table tomb; C17 and C18 floor slabs to former Rectors with carved arms. Hatchments in chancel, nave and north aisle. Large east window with glass by T. Farrow of Diss, 1853; later glass in aisles. Cardinal Wolsey was Rector of Redgrave in 1506. (Suffolk Archaeology, vol.27, 1958, pp.5-7).

Listing NGR: TM0570478209

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History' in Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology and History, , Vol. 27, (1958), 5-7

National Grid Reference: TM 05704 78209

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254091 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 07:20:27.

End of official listing