NUMBERS 40 (PARSONS), 40A, 42 AND 44 INCLUDING ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1254139

Date first listed: 09-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 40 (PARSONS), 40A, 42 AND 44 INCLUDING ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 40 (PARSONS), 40A, 42 AND 44 INCLUDING ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:48:17.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBERS 40 (PARSONS), 40A, 42 AND 44 INCLUDING ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Mid Suffolk (District Authority)

Parish: Needham Market

National Grid Reference: TM 08896 54973

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEEDHAM MARKET HIGH STREET (EAST) TM 0854E

3/110 Nos.40 (Parsons), 40a, 42 and 44 including attached 9.12.55 outbuildings (formerly listed as Nos.40 and 42)

- II

Shop and 3 houses with outbuildings. C16 core with major alterations of c.1600 and mid C19. 2 storeys. 3-cell lobby-entrance plan from c.1600, with extended service and parlour ranges. Timber-framed and rough-cast. Plaintiled roofs with axial chimneys of red brick. Mid C19 sash windows with large panes. The main entrance doorway is that now used by No.42: eared architrave, moulded and with a dentilled cornice in the C18 manner, with mid C19 4-panelled door. The shop has a C19 glazed panelled door and flanking windows. The front range is mainly of c.1600, but the parlour cell to left is a remodelling of a lower C16 building from which fragments of a crown-post roof and a complete blocked diamond-mullioned window survive. A narrow C16 wing to rear right is long-wall jettied into the courtyard (the jetty is concealed by C19 alterations). Parallel to the front range is a C16 building of 5 bays, in poor condition and much altered in mid C19, but of interest because of its connection with the malting industry. It was certainly in use for malting in C19 and possibly was designed for this purpose; fragmentary crown-post roof and good arch-braced close studwork; the building was encased in flint with red brick dressings and virtually reroofed in C19. To rear of the parlour cell, a wing was added c.1600, enclosing the 4th side of the courtyard. It has good ovolo-moulded framing and heavy wind-braced butt- purlin roof. At 1st storey is an unusual doorcase with an enriched frieze, console brackets and Ionic pilasters of possibly c.1600, but perhaps reassembled from another feature such as an overmantel. Good C18 parlour corner cupboard.

Listing NGR: TM0889654973

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 436942

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing