This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1254193



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bromley

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358673

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


The following building shall be added:

BROMLEY HAYES LANE TQ 46 NW 785-/5/10001 Ravensbourne School (old buildings, including Great Hall, gymnasium and dining hall)


Purpose-built school, originally County School for Boys, later Grammar School and finally mixed Comprehensive School. Original block designed by H P Burke-Downing in 1908 and built 1910-11 extended to the north-west by the same architect in the early 1930s in similar style, providing Great Hall, dining hall and gymnasium. Queen Anne style. Built of brown brick with red brick and stone dressings and hipped tiled roof Central block of 9 windows has central lead cupola with central oval windows on 4 columns and egg design to plinth. Central curved open pediment has circular windows with keystone flanked by swags. Modillion eaves cornice. Central 24-pane window with eared architrave and 3 keystones. Ground floor has elaborate stone doorcase with Swansneck pediment bearing shield ornamented with swags and keystone with potto. Engaged Tuscan columns and 6 curved steps with curved solid balustrade with ball finials. 24 pane sash windows with stone keystone. Band between floors. On either side are 3 similar bays set back with solid brick chimney stacks with round-headed flank arches - with stone impost blocks and keystones. There is a further bay set back on either side with circular windows to 1st floor and ground floor window divided by stone apron. 4-light dormer and two 12-pane sashes with triple keystone. At the ends are projecting pavilions with round- headed pediments with modillion cornice and tall curved window flacked by oculi. Ground floor has 3 sashes. Left side pavilion, owing to slope of land, also has basement with curved windows and sashes. To the north east is the caretaker's house attached to the main school by brick arch, mainly pebble dashed with gable, 1st floor window now replaced by late C20 window and Tuscan porch to ground floor. 2 pebble dashed chimneystacks. The original main building is linked to c1933 extension to the north west by the same architect by a colonnade of brown brick with red brick or tiled dressings. 5 round-headed arches with keystone 2 oval windows. Great Hall is of brown brick with red brick dressings. Hipped pantiled roof Front has central tall round-headed window and round-headed entrance below. 1st floor has oculi at ends. Other windows are sashes. Sides of Great Hall have sculptural stone panels above central window and high relief panels of swags over the others. Parapets have urns to corners. Classroom block to rear of Great Hall is of 2 storeys with 9 24-pane sashes. Attached to the north west of the Great Hall is the Gymnasium of brown brick with red brick dressings, hipped tiled roof and 6 panels to parapet. Attached to the north west side by a colonnade of Tuscan columns is the Dining Hall. 1 storey brown brick with red brick dressings. Hipped tiled roof with 1 brick chimney. 3 hipped dormers. Parapet with stone coping. Stone doorcase has panel above with carving of St George and the Dragon. T-wing has oval window and doorcase flacked by 2 oval windows. 1911 building has Old Hall with cambered ceiling with 3 roundels with fruits carved in deep relief Deep modillion cornice with ovolo moulding. Doorcases with eared architraves. Panelled balcony on 3 sides, supported on 4 elaborately carved brackets. 5 24-pane windows. Central circular window with stained glass depicting school shield and motto and similar windows (now without stained glass) at either end. Tiled walls to dado, painted over. War Memorial Library, also in 1911 building, has cambered ceiling with 3 panels, bracket cornice, frieze of wreaths, wall panels and dado panelling. Bolection-moulded stone fireplace with wooden memorial tablet above. Great Hall of 1933 had auditorium with ceiling with 4 large roundels with fruit in high relief joined by square panels with pattern of interweaved circles. Stage has curved proscenium arch with Tuscan columns and central keystone. 2 plain well staircases. Old Hall retained framed architect's drawing of 1911 building.

[Pevsner Buildings of England "London 2: South" pp. 167-8]

Listing NGR: TQ4068268046

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 167-168
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from

National Grid Reference: TQ 40682 68046


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 01:20:24.

End of official listing