The Ancient House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1254336
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
The Ancient House, 1 and 3, King William Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of The Ancient House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254336.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 14:48:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
The Ancient House, 1 and 3, King William Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Needham Market
National Grid Reference:
TM0875355252

Details

TM0855 3/134

NEEDHAM MARKET KING WILLIAM STREET Nos. 1 and 3, The Ancient House

9.12.55

II* Two houses, built as one substantial house in late C14 or early C15. (The date 1480 in right-hand gable is spurious). A central open hall with two cross-wings. Two storeys; one cross-wing has an attic. Timber-framed and roughcast with much exposed and painted oak framing, augmented with early C20 false half-timbering.

The solar cross-wing at the corner of Hawksmill Street is jettied on two sides, with broad knees, supporting alternate exposed joist ends and a moulded bressumer. At the corner is a massive post with a moulded and embattled capital. At the upper storey is very closely-spaced studwork. The service wing to right is end-jettied at the front and has widely-spaced tension-braced studwork. Plaintiled roofs with early C20 chimneys of red brick. Early C20 mullioned and transomed casements. Boarded entrance doors.

The two-bay open hall has a central truss with massive moulded arch braces to the cambered tie-beam; the octagonal crownpost has a moulded capital and heavy two-way braces (the post was designed to have lateral braces, but seems never to have received them). Heavy smoke-encrustation. Both cross-wings also have complete crown post roofs; the solar roof has an octagonal post at the open truss with a responding pilaster at the rear wall. Studwork has prolific tension-bracing throughout, but is closely spaced in the solar wing only.

Twin service room doorways with steep two-centred arched heads; similar doorways in the rear wall of the solar wing indicate an outside stair in the position of the C20 one. A fragmentary rear hall window has evidence for traceried lights below a transome. In early or mid C16, an upper floor was inserted into the hall with heavily moulded main beams and joists.

In 1476 the house was known as Poundizend, the property of John Flegg, and in 1523 as occupied by John Gardiner (both were wealthy clothiers).

Listing NGR: TM0875355252

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
436966
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/02391/21
Rights: Copyright IoE AG Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].