Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254370.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Dec-2020 at 02:01:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
Cruwys Morchard
National Grid Reference:
SS 87052 12989


SS 81 SE CRUWYS MORCHARD NORTHCOTE LANE 2/89 Ford Barton - II Former farmhouse. Circa early C16, remodelled circa early C17 with an extension and re-arrangement of the late C17, some C19 refurbishment and late C19/C20 re-roofing. Roughcast, probably cob and stone ; slate roof, gabled at ends ; end stacks and axial stack, all with brick shafts. Plan: The present plan is single depth, 4 rooms wide with an entrance to right of centre, facing a straight stair. The evolution of the house is complex. It began as a late medieval open hall possibly extending the full length of the present 3 right hand rooms (lower end to the right) although there may have been some rebuilding at the right end. The house was floored in the circa late C16/early C17 and the hall stack added, backing on to a cross or through passage. A rounded wall suggests that there may have been a newel stair in the rear right corner of the inner (left hand) room. The next phase, late C17, involved the addition of a kitchen at the left end, adjoining the inner room which was partitioned off at the rear, forming a rear axial passage between the new kitchen and the early C17 hall. This turned the inner room into an unheated dairy between the kitchen and the early C17 hall ; the lower end (right hand) room may have been used as a best parlour. Either in the C18 or C19 a straight stair was inserted in the old cross or through passage and a second stair was inserted between the inner room and early C17 hall, this stair reached from the axial corridor. In the circa mid/late C19 the lower end, which is larger than the hall, was re-floored and refurbished and clearly used as a parlour/sitting room. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 5 window front with front door to former passage to right of centre. 2-light circa early C19 small pane timber casements except for the window lighting the C17 hall which is a similar 3-light window, and first floor window left which is late C20. Lean-to adjoins at left end, further lean-to on front at left. The rear elevation has irregular fenestration with 3 first floor and 3 ground floor windows. Interior features from each phase of the evolution of the house survive. Of the late medieval open hall house 2 smoke-blackened trusses with the remains of a diagonally- set ridge and some rafters and battens exist below a later roof structure. The principal rafters, plastered over in the first floor rooms, are probably jointed crucks. Of the circa early C17 phase 2 chamfered axial beams with pyramid stops remain in the early C17 hall. The hall fireplace has a C20 grate but this may conceal the early C17 fireplace. A chamfered axial beam in the former inner room may also date from the early C17. The kitchen,, at the left end, has a circa late C17 roughly-chamfered cross beam with step stops and although the fireplace has been blocked, an early lintel clearly survives beneath later wall and plaster. The lower end room has a C19 cross beam and a marbled chimneypiece. The first floor rooms open into one another but are partitioned-off at the rear forming large closets. An interesting house of late medieval origins with a long building history still evident in the interior features and an attractive front elevation. Ford Barton is part of the Cruwys Estate and may be the "Ford" described as being first documented in the C14, Cruwys, Margaret C.S., A Cruwys Morchard Notebook, 1066- l874 (1939).

Listing NGR: SS8705212989


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cruwys, M C S , A Cruwys Morchard Notebook 1066-1874, (1939)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].