11, KING STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254668
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
11, KING STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 11, KING STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 17:12:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
11, KING STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 57220 40012

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5740SW KING STREET 646-1/14/306 (West side) 06/06/72 No.11 (Formerly Listed as: KING STREET Prudential Assurance Building)

GV II

Insurance company offices, now offices. 1880-1890. By Alfred Waterhouse for the Prudential Assurance Co. Restored and converted 1991. Red brick, with granite basement and terracotta dressings, and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. Flemish Renaissance Revival style. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, ground floor and eaves cornices, latticework balustrade. Acute-angled corner block, 3 storeys plus basement and attics; 3 x 5 bays. Windows are mainly cross casements with elaborate terracotta surrounds. Corner entrance bay has an elaborate opening with steps to a recessed door. Overdoor framed by pilasters, with central figure and niche, flanked by shields and small mullioned windows, all under a cornice. Above, 2 floors with double windows and a pierced balcony. Above again, a square tower, 2 stages, with corner turrets and spires, and an octagonal main spire with patterned leadwork and finial. The spire has lucarnes and a tier of bell openings. On each side, a curved double bay with a central pilaster, with 4 windows on the lower floors and 2 windows above, topped with a gabled dormer. Basement has 4 openings. Returns, 5 bays, are identical, with 4 regular courses of windows and gabled dormers. 2 round-arched basement openings in each bay. Emphasised end bays have similar fenestration plus round-arched doorways and elaborate gabled dormers topped with square-spired fleches. INTERIOR has some original features, including round stairwell with stone spiral stair and wrought-iron railing, and similar minor stair. Entrance hall has moulded glazed tile panel and 3 door surrounds. Banking hall has textured tiling and strapwork panelled ceiling with enriched dentillated cornices. 2 chamfered round arches to similarly tiled corridor. Faience tile fireplace with arcaded canopy, and clock dated 1895. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 234).

Listing NGR: SK5722040012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
457420
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 234

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12291/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Patrick Banister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].