This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

12, 14 AND 16, LOWER PARLIAMENT STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 12, 14 AND 16, LOWER PARLIAMENT STREET

List entry Number: 1254750

Location

12, 14 AND 16, LOWER PARLIAMENT STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Nottingham

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1995

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 457479

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK5740SW LOWER PARLIAMENT STREET 646-1/14/362 (South side) Nos.12, 14 AND 16

GV II

Formerly known as: Station Buildings LOWER PARLIAMENT STREET. Shop and warehouse, now shop and offices. 1896. By Watson Fothergill of Nottingham for Furley & Co., provision merchants. Altered 1925 and late C20. Red brick, with blue brick and ashlar dressings and hipped plain tile roofs, topped with an octagonal turret. Polychrome string courses, and tiled eaves canopy below the attics. 3 storeys plus attics; 2 x 5 bays. Rectangular corner site, with angled corner entrance bay flanked by bartizans and topped with a stepped gable. Stone doorcase, blank first floor, oriel window to second floor, and round-arched tripartite window in the gable. Right return, to Lower Parliament Street, has a central entrance with cast-iron columns, flanked by late C20 shopfronts. Above, 2 Diocletian windows, reglazed 1925. Under the windows, 4 terracotta sculpture panels. Above again, two 3-light cross mullioned windows. Attics have applied timber framing, and 2 hipped dormers with cross casements. Left return to Clinton Street West, has similar fenestration on the upper floors, and 4 attic dormers. Ground floor has to left a segment-arched shop entrance, ashlar and glazed tile, with mullioned overlight. (Get to know Nottingham: Brand K: Watson Fothergill, Architect: Nottingham: 1987-: 13).

Listing NGR: SK5739040079

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Brand, K, 'Get To Know Nottingham' in Watson Fothergill Architect, (1987), 13

National Grid Reference: SK 57390 40079

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254750 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 04:09:22.

End of official listing