INDIA HOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED WROUGHT IRON GATEWAY LINKED TO LANCASTER HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1254836
Date first listed:
03-Oct-1974
Statutory Address:
INDIA HOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED WROUGHT IRON GATEWAY LINKED TO LANCASTER HOUSE), 73 AND 75, WHITWORTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of INDIA HOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED WROUGHT IRON GATEWAY LINKED TO LANCASTER HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254836.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 02:49:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
INDIA HOUSE (INCLUDING ATTACHED WROUGHT IRON GATEWAY LINKED TO LANCASTER HOUSE), 73 AND 75, WHITWORTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Manchester (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 84215 97619

Details

MANCHESTER

SJ8497NW WHITWORTH STREET 698-1/32/441 (South side) 03/10/74 Nos.73 AND 75 India House (including attached wrought-iron gateway linked to Lancaster House)

GV II*

Packing warehouse, converted as apartments 1988-9. Dated 1906, built between 1905 and 1912; by Harry S.Fairhurst. Steel-framed, with cladding of buff terracotta and red brick with buff terracotta dressings (roof concealed). Large rectangular plan. Edwardian Baroque style. Six storeys with basement and attic, 3:4:6:4:3 windows at 1st floor, symmetrical; rock-faced plinth, channelled buff terracotta to ground and 1st floors with mutuled cornice on brackets (a cartouche under this at each corner lettered "INDIA HOUSE"), giant arcades to the next 4 floors with brick pilasters, very heavily enriched terracotta frieze (swags, volutes, cartouches, etc.) and modillioned cornice, and attic treated as a parapet. The strong horizontal emphasis of the facade is relieved by vertical features flanking the 6-bay centre: these have entrances at ground floor with elaborate surrounds of grey ashlar including large semi-circular open pediments with mutules over recessed doorways with flanking Ionic semi-columns, and panelled side-bays under mutuled cornices supported by cartouches (lettered "73" and "75" respectively); canted bay windows of terracotta tiered from 2nd to 5th floors, with various forms of enrichment including corbelled plaques at the top lettered "1906", and flanked by broad banded terracotta pilasters; and attics under hefty semi-circular open pediments with mutules and cartouches. The other bays have segmental-headed windows at 1st floor, round-headed at 5th floor, and square-headed elsewhere, mostly containing 3-light sashes and mostly also with triple keystones; and the attic has low recessed 3-light windows. Return walls similar. Attached at the left end, and linked to No.71 (Lancaster House), is a large gateway composed of double gates with ramped tops and semicircular 4-strand overthrow forming a complete circle from the apex of which is suspended a slender lamp in Art Nouveau style. Forms group with Nos 67 to 71 (Lancaster House) to the left (q.v.), with Refuge Assurance building to the right (Oxford Road, q.v.), and with Nos 58 to 60 (Bridgewater House) opposite (q.v.). Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ8421597619

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458159
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Jul 2003
Reference: IOE01/09664/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].