NETHER GREEN MIDDLE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1254879
Date first listed:
12-Dec-1995
Statutory Address:
NETHER GREEN MIDDLE SCHOOL, FULWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETHER GREEN MIDDLE SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254879 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 05:55:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
NETHER GREEN MIDDLE SCHOOL, FULWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 31422 85697

Details

SHEFFIELD

SK38NW FULWOOD ROAD 784-1/5/340 (South side) Nether Green Middle School

GV II

Board school, now middle school. 1904, by Holmes & Watson for the Sheffield School Board. Completed 1909 by AF Watson. Later C20 alterations. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and slate roof, the main block topped with an octagonal wooden bell turret with dome and flagstaff. EXTERIOR: plinth and coped gables, various coped side wall and ridge stacks. Single and 2 storeys; 4 bays. Double depth plan. Symmetrical front has central double gabled single storey projection with round topped gables. Each gable has a 3-light window with overlight, divided by pilasters which rise to the top of the gable. Central light has a round-arched blank tympanum with keystone and voussoirs. Beyond, on either side, a small projection under a catslide roof, with a single late C20 window. Above and behind, central hall with facing gable topped with a round-arched bell turret with a circular opening. In the gable, a large segment-headed 5-light window with hoodmould. Beyond, on either side, a square bell tower, 2 stages, with quoins, moulded string course and wavy-topped coped parapet. Lower stage has single small window. Bell stage has on each side a louvred opening in the form of a Diocletian window, with large keystone. Right tower has an external corner stack. Beyond again, lower 2 storey projecting wings each with a 2-light glazing bar window with pedimented label mould. Windows to left gable are smaller. Returns have, towards the rear, a through-eaves dormer with segmental pediment and a transomed 2-light casement, flanked by single light windows. On either side, a gable with 3 single light windows. Towards the front, a 2-storey range with a through-eaves dormer, and below, 5 small windows. INTERIOR has central hall with pilaster buttresses and queen post truss roof with wavy arch braces and struts. E Holmes, in partnership with AF Watson 1893-1906, designed several schools for the Sheffield School Board, of which this is the most striking. (Researches by G Hague (Sheffield City Council) and A Saint).

Listing NGR: SK3142285697

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
458218
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Dec 2000
Reference: IOE01/02612/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara A West. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].