This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1254900

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Harrow

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Sep-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 458322

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added to the list:-

TQ18NE HARROW STATION ROAD (south east side) 4/10008 Church of St John the Bapist

GV II

Anglican church. Designed in 1902 by John Samuel Alder, the foundation stone laid on 16 July 1904 and the nave consecrated in 1905, the eastern bay of the nave was completed posthumously in 1925; the chancel and chapel were completed in 1938 to revised designs by Martin Travers. Stone with roofs of green slate laid in diminishing courses. Decorated style to nave, with the chancel having Perpendicular style tracery. The plan comprises a nave with aisles and vestigial transepts, chancel, chapel and linked vestry. Square chancel of one bay with five-light Perp (ritual) east window, three-light south window in stripped style, and segmental barrel-vaulted roof of wood, painted light blue and cream with touches of gold. The chancel roof lower than that of the nave, the gap being filled by a painting depicting Christ flanked by the Virgin Mary and the dedicatio saint. North chapel of three bays, including the easternmost bay of the north aisle, with single lancets and three-light east window to Travers's deliberately stripped design - these in stark contrast to the rich decorated tracery used by Alder elsewhere. Wood roofs to the centre and sanctuary, the colours of the former identical to the chancel already described. Nave of six bays, the easternmost demarcated by a low parapet wall to form a choir area which has carved benches arranged in a collegiate fashion. Westernmost bay half the width of the rest, with two-light instead of the four-light windows found elsewhere, a device common in Alder's work. Two-light clerestorey windows to each bay. The nave roof a pointed barrel vault in wood, with arched ribs defining bays and intermediary bays. North and south nave aisles with lean-to roofs having arched principles to nave arcade. The easternmost aisle bays are set off from the rest by transverse pointed arches in stone; the easternmost aisle bays are set off from the rest by transverse pointed arches in stone; the easternmost bay of the north aisle with roof on transverse axis forming a vestigial transept. Outside and to the east this was to have been completed by a spire. Organ chamber to easternmost bay of south aisle. North-west porch; single entrance to west end. Shallow porch entrance to north transept. Furnishings include carved wood pulpit to ritual north-east of nave, with stair and tester, and a small stone font at east end of north aisle. The reredos and altar front hidden by cloths at time of inspection (7 June 1994); altar raised on three steps to from a sanctuary enclosed by a wooden rail. Elegant 1914-18 War Memorial formed from part of north wall of chapel. Wood- block paving in herringbone pattern. Fragments of old glass to head of east window; good C20 glass elsewhere but most windows largely filled with opaque and tinted leaded lights. All door furniture and most rainwater goods of original design. On east nave wall externally a carved relief inscribed 'ECCE AGNUS DEI'. There is a projecting single-storey vestry of stone and green slate in the Decorated style, with lancets joined in twos and threes under heavy hood moulds, to the ritual south-east. It is firmly linked to the main structure by a stout passageway.

Listing NGR: TQ1567788379

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/11139

National Grid Reference: TQ 15677 88379

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254900 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 06:34:05.

End of official listing