COLWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1254981

Date first listed: 11-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Nov-1995

Statutory Address: COLWICK HALL, RACECOURSE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLWICK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1254981 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:00:26.

Location

Statutory Address: COLWICK HALL, RACECOURSE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 60176 39027

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NOTTINGHAM

SK63NW RACECOURSE ROAD 646-1/8/510 (South East side) 11/08/52 Colwick Hall (Formerly Listed as: COLWICK Colwick Hall)

II*

Country house, now restaurant. Early C18, remodelled 1776 by John Carr, architect, and Samuel Stretton, builder, for John Musters. Rainwater head dated 1776, with monogram JWM. Screen and colonnade to north front, later C18. Converted mid C20. Red brick, with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roofs. 6 ridge stacks, ashlar and brick, mostly truncated. EXTERIOR: plinth, quoins, eaves cornice, pierced balustrades. Windows are mainly glazing bar sashes with moulded surrounds. Central block, 2 storeys, with single storey wings. North front has a recessed centre, 5 windows, flanked by wings, 3 windows wide and 2 windows deep. Doric screen and colonnade, 5 bays, covering a renewed glazed door. Single storey side wings each with 2 windows. South front has a main block, 9 windows, with Ionic corner pilasters. Central Ionic portico under a pediment containing a round window with Rococo leaf decoration. Ground floor windows have cornices, and the windows flanking the portico are altered to form French windows. Side wings, single storey, 5 bays, have round-arched windows divided by Doric pilasters. Central window of right wing altered to a French window. INTERIOR: little altered, in Adam style. Entrance hall has plaster panelled walls with frieze and dentillated cornice, enriched wooden fireplace, and 5 enriched doorcases with cornices. Adjoining room with similar decoration and marble fireplace. Stairwell has branching main staircase with 3 fluted balusters per tread. Dentillated cornice and ceiling with central fan boss to stairwell. Former library, to south, has an anthemion frieze, and a columnated screen at each end. Chinese style fitted bookcase at east end. Original marble fireplace and 2 enriched doorcases with 6-panel doors. Ballroom, to south west, has apsidal ends with Corinthian columnated screens, dentillated cornice and coved ceiling. Inlaid marble fireplace. Minor stone cantilever staircase to east, early C18, with wrought-iron balustrade. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 251-252).

Listing NGR: SK6017639027

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 458507

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 251-252

End of official listing