CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1255283
Date first listed:
11-Aug-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Nov-1995
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL, WOLLATON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255283 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 07:05:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LEONARD AND ATTACHED BOUNDARY WALL, WOLLATON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Nottingham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 52492 39790

Details

SK5239NW 646-1/16/755

NOTTINGHAM, WOLLATON ROAD (North East side), Wollaton, Church of St Leonard and attached boundary wall

(Formerly Listed as: WOLLATON ROAD, Wollaton Church of St Leonard)

11/08/52

GV II*

Parish church. Chancel c1200, remodelled C14, nave and tower late C14, north aisle c1500, Willoughby mausoleum and south aisle 1885-87, by Charles Hodgson Fowler. Restored 1885-87, also by Fowler, and 1968-70. Mausoleum converted to south chapel 1924. Coursed squared stone and ashlar, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. PLAN: chancel, south chapel, nave with clerestory, aisles, west tower and spire. EXTERIOR: plinth, sill bands, coped parapets and gables, with crosses. Diagonal and angle buttresses. Chancel has a traceried east window, 3 lights, with hood mould. On each side, a traceried flat-headed window, 2 lights. South chapel has a four-centred arched east window, 3 lights, with hood mould, and to south 2 flat-headed windows, 2 lights. Round-arched priest's door. North aisle, 10 bays, has renewed flat-headed untraceried windows, 2 and 3 lights. To east, a 4-centred arched door flanked to left by a small original window. In the eighth bay, moulded pointed arched doorway, now blocked. Ends have single windows. South aisle, 3 bays, has to east 2 flat-headed windows, 3 lights, and to west, a moulded doorway. West end has 2 single lancets. Nave, 3 bays, has to south-west a traceried flat-headed window, 2 lights. To its left, a narrow doorway. 2 flat-headed clerestory windows, 3 lights. On the north side, 2 small clerestory windows, 2 lights. Square west tower, 2 stages, has small diagonal buttresses and crenellated parapet. Double chamfered pointed arched openings to north and south, with late C20 glazing. Clock to west. Bell stage has a traceried flat-headed opening, 2 lights, on each side. Set back octagonal spire with a tier of lucarnes. Boundary wall, attached to west tower, borders Wollaton Road on the south east side approx 60m. Coursed squared stone with rounded coping. INTERIOR: rendered. Chancel has at the west end a moulded span beam with arch braces and corbels, in addition to the original beam. C19 arch braced roof on corbels. East end has a stained glass window, 1886, and an unusual carved wooden reredos, c1660, with columns and broken segmental pediment. North side has a C19 doorway, then a large monument with an early C20 stained glass window above. South side has an ogee piscina and single sedilia, C14, and a stained glass window, 1922. South chapel has a renewed low pitched roof, plain windows, and roll moulded doorway to south. Nave has restored low pitched roof. North arcade, 5 bays, has double chamfered arches with unusual quatrefoil piers. East and west bays are narrower, with sections of wall instead of piers. South arcade, 3 bays, restored C19, has double chamfered arches to west with a quatrefoil pier, and a cove-moulded arch to east. West of the arcade, a stained glass window, C19, 2 lights. West end has a pointed arched doorway, C19. North aisle has low pitched roof, mainly original, with plaster ceiling at east end. C19 door into chancel, C20 door to adjoining church hall. C20 stained glass east window. South aisle has renewed roof and double chamfered arch to south chapel. 2 early C20 stained glass windows, and south door altered to a window. Fittings include octagonal font, wooden skeleton pulpit and brass lectern, 1886, and mid C20 stalls and benches. Monuments are unusually numerous, including canopied recess with brasses, slab and cadaver to Richard Willoughby, 1471, and arched recess with tomb chest and effigies to Henry Willoughby and 4 wives, 1528. The chest has openwork arches and figures, and a cadaver below. Other Willoughby family monuments include a tablet with urns and vases, 1800, by Sir John Bacon, and another with angels, 1835, by Sir Richard Westmacott. Tablet with strapwork, 1614, to Robert Smythson, designer of Wollaton Hall (qv). (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Nottinghamshire: London: 1979-: 273-274).

Listing NGR: SK5249239790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
459113
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 273-274

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16416/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Eric Ritchie. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].