THE COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255565
Date first listed:
26-Sep-1963
Statutory Address:
THE COTTAGE, HOUGHLEY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255565.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 11:38:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COTTAGE, HOUGHLEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 25455 34565

Details

LEEDS

SE2534 HOUGHLEY LANE, Bramley Hill Top 714-1/26/1204 (East side (off)) 26/09/63 The Cottage (Formerly Listed as: HOUGHLEY LANE, Upper Armley The Cottage)

GV II

Farmhouse, later gentleman's residence, now 3 houses. Dated 1646, later sub-division, roof raised mid C19. Coursed squared gritstone rubble, rendered brick and stone additions, stone slate roofs, hipped on right. East facade: 2-storey, 2-bay original house with taller 2-storey bay over a cellar right. Quoins. Original central doorway with chamfered quoined jambs and carved flat-arched lintel: 'J/RE 1646'. A 6-light recessed chamfered mullioned window left, blocked doorway, tripartite sash window to right and to 1st floor; square rendered brick porch with round-arched window and pedimented blocking course, inner door half-glazed, in plain surround. Tall corniced ridge stack centre. Added wing right: sash window in moulded surround to ground and 1st floor, paired gutter brackets continue on right return which has 2 full-height canted bay windows and a 2-bay addition of c1900 to right, 2 banded ridge stacks. Left return: rendered, a 5-light mullioned window to 1st floor, the central light blocked and mullions turned, drip mould over, a lower single-light window to right; 2-storey, 2-window added range to left. INTERIOR: original house, the C17 lobby-entry plan remains, a 2-unit plan with rear service rooms, remains of timber fire-hood and pyramid chamfer stops to front-room beams; heated parlour, partition and basket-arch to service rooms, stone-flag floors, former rear stair window blocked when c1900 range added; fine pegged queen-post roof with punched carpenters' marks. Incised plaster in the original range : 'W Dewhirst 1 Dec 1837/39', JDE Hirst 1840 7 June'. HISTORICAL NOTE: thought to have been built by Richard Ellison, probably a freehold farm (Hill Top Farm); possibly sub-divided in the mid C18, the stonework of the door surround moved to right when the new wing was added later C19, probably after the roof of the original range was raised to 2 full storeys (1837-40 dates) and the 5-light mullioned window moved from ground-floor right to the left upper gable. In the early C19 the house was the property of Mrs Holmes; in 1839 it was

owned by Susannah Holmes who in 1861 sold to William Gott. The house was tenanted by the Merediths in the later C19; the property was sub-divided by 1933 and the original house restored from 1970.



Listing NGR: SE2545534565

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465878
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16986/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].