WATER WORKS METER HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255566

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: WATER WORKS METER HOUSE, CHURCH WOOD AVENUE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WATER WORKS METER HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 17:07:22.

Location

Statutory Address: WATER WORKS METER HOUSE, CHURCH WOOD AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 27262 37149

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE23NE CHURCH WOOD AVENUE, Far Headingley 714-1/6/651 (North West side) Water Works Meter House

II

Meter house. Built between 1905 and 1912. Rock-faced ashlar, grey slate roof. A tall single-storey building in Gothic Revival style set against the side of the filtration reservoir. Central porch with pointed arch and paired board doors, cornice and blocking course. Flanking arched 2-light windows with hoodmoulds; angle buttresses, moulded stone brackets support deep blocking course with arched recesses. Hipped roof with glazed ventilation canopy, iron finials. INTERIOR: not inspected. In 1905 seven filter beds in Weetwood treated the water from the Washburn valley reservoirs; by 1912 there were 17 beds in Headingley (Kelly), suggesting that this building dates from the period when the filter beds were extended across Otley Road. Water reached the town by gravitation or via North Lane Pumping Station, North Lane, Headingley (qv). (Kelly's Directory of Leeds, 1905 and 1912).

Listing NGR: SE2726237149

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465879

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1905)
'Kellys Director' in Leeds, (1912)

End of official listing