CONCOURSE OF LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH RAILWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255570

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: CONCOURSE OF LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH RAILWAY, CITY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CONCOURSE OF LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH RAILWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255570 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 02:29:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CONCOURSE OF LONDON MIDLAND AND SCOTTISH RAILWAY, CITY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 29881 33328

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 2933 SE CITY SQUARE (South side (off)) 714-1/77/99 Concourse of London, Midland And Scottish Railway 11.09.1996 II

Station concourse and ticket office, over brick vaults. 1846, c.1931, altered c.1970. By W Curtis Green and WH Hamlyn, architect to the London, Midland and Scottish Railway. Portland ashlar, brown brick. Single-storey, flat roof, 7+ bays, with N entrance arcade through British Rail offices, from Queen's Hotel (qv), and E entrance, now left-luggage mall and information centre, canopy over. Facade: southwest entrance to former platforms obscured by hoardings and shed roofs; 3 large 3-panel windows with small panes above. The bays defined externally by buttresses rising to stone or concrete band and parapet. INTERIOR: buttresses rise to concrete cross beams with original pendant lights. Walls lined with bronze panels, the hotel entrance having flanking panels with cut-out lettering. Deep plain projecting band above door height and plain hoarding panels between the buttresses; coved cornice to coffered ceiling. The present ticket hall of the City Station added c.1970 is built within the concourse and the original coffered ceiling continues above it. This concourse is built on a series of brick vaults which pre-existed from the Midland Railway's Wellington Street Station built in 1846. These vaults include the culvert for the Mill Goyt which flows under the Queen's Hotel and joins the River Aire to the west of the site. The vaults are part of a much more extensive series of vaults which stretch under all the listed buildings in the group as well as the approaches to and under the present Leeds Station. The present station uses the approaches and footprint of both the Midland Railway's Wellington Street Station, of which the surface buildings have now all been demolished, and the London and North Western Railway's New Station of 1869. This was demolished in 1963 and rebuilt as the present Leeds Station, leaving only the vaults and the London and Scottish Railway buildings now surviving from an earlier period. Part of the important LMS group of hotel, Railway Company offices (qv) and concourse. HISTORY: see Queen's Hotel (qv).



Listing NGR: SE2988133328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465883

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing