CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE AT WRANGTHORN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255576
Date first listed:
05-Aug-1976
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE AT WRANGTHORN, HYDE PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE AT WRANGTHORN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255576 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 21:24:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST AUGUSTINE AT WRANGTHORN, HYDE PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 28899 35452

Details

LEEDS

SE2835SE HYDE PARK ROAD, Hyde Park 714-1/70/875 (West side) 05/08/76 Church of St Augustine at Wrangthorn (Formerly Listed as: HYDE PARK ROAD, Hyde Park Church of St Augustine)

GV II

Anglican church. 1870-71. By James Barlow Fraser. Rock-faced gritstone, ashlar details, slate roof. Gothic Revival style. EXTERIOR: tall SE tower of 3 stages with shallow corner buttresses, tall paired lancets and carved corbels in the form of angels and grotesques to 2nd stage and octagonal bell-stage, large open pinnacles, surmounted by tall stone spire. Entrances at base of tower and S porch: board double doors with strap hinges in deeply moulded arch, gablet over. Decorated window tracery, the E and W windows of 5 lights. Clerestory. Low N and S aisles with 3-light windows, N and S chapels, nave, chancel, S porch. The spire is a landmark in the area. INTERIOR: 5-bay nave with floor of red and black tiles, polished marble cylindrical columns, foliate capitals, chamfered pointed arches, electric light fittings with central orb and pendant bulbs with stylised leaf motifs, low original pews with umbrella holders, font in SW corner with marble shafts and octagonal bowl with angels, wooden domed cover with wrought-iron cross and gilded boss pulley balance. Shallow 2-bay transepts with square pulpit of inlaid marble on square and cylindrical squat columns; chancel arch with short black marble shafts; 3-bay chancel with polychrome-tile floor, painted vaulted wooden ceiling, choir stalls with plaque in memory of James Boultbee, first vicar of Wrangthorn 1866-1908. Brass altar rail, eagle lectern, reredos of pink veined marble in Gothic Revival style with central mosaic of the Last Supper and raised lettering: 'IN.THE.REVERENCE.OF.GOD. AND IN MEMORY OF.JOHN.AND.HARRIET.FRASER', dated 1882, flanking panels with bible passages. East window depicting Life of Christ, in memory of John Fraser, civil engineer of Leeds, died September 1881. A painting by JL Adams in 1883 shows wall paintings over chancel arch and on the walls, and brass candelabra hanging from the nave arches.

Listing NGR: SE2889935452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465889
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/06115/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Pennie Keech. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].