This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13 July 2021 to update the name and address and to reformat the text to current standards
WOODHOUSE LANE (South West side)
No.229 and attached gate piers and railings
(Formerly listed as Feast and Firkin Public House and attached gate piers and railings, previously listed as WOODHOUSE LANE, Woodhouse Free Library (Social Services Centre))
Police and fire station and public library, now public house and brewery, with attached gate piers and gates. Dated 1901, converted c1994. Possibly by WH Thorp. Red brick, Bradford stone dressings, granite columns, green Westmorland slate roof, lead covered dome. In Italianate style, a prominent corner site of two storeys with a two-stage corner tower and single-storey library entrance. The main block is of five bays, 3:2:2:2:3 windows, flat-arched with small pediments and round-arched, plate-glass sashes; the left (tower) bay projects. Nine-panel doors under triangular pediments bays one and five, both with round-arched flanking windows; central bay has an elaborate arched and traceried four-light window to ground floor the keystone carved with pick-axe and hoses, olive boughs in the spandrels. It is flanked by two orders of paired columns, the ground floor Ionic, the first floor Corinthian, supporting wide segmental pediment surmounted by large coat of arms. Modillion eaves cornice, balustraded parapet with urns, small domed bellcote/ventilator to ridge.
Tower: the first stage is square with Ionic pilasters, narrow round-arched windows, cornice and balustraded parapet, from which rises octagonal stage with clock face, composite pilasters at angles supporting modillion cornice with elliptical pediments with arched niche at heads, lead-clad dome. Far right: the single-storey range is set back and has replacement eight-panel doors flanked by cross windows, the keystones carved with putti masks; Tuscan columns supporting a semicircular porch, the words 'FREE LIBRARY' and paired putti with a plaque dated 1901; balustraded parapet and urns. Left return, to Clarendon Road: four bays, two storeys with attics, a six-panel door to bay two with large overlight and triangular pediment on console brackets, canted bay window left with bolection moulding and blocking course, paired round-arched windows right, segmental pedimented stone dormers.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached pair of gate piers with gates left: approx 3m, octagonal, roll-moulded capstones; wrought-iron two-leaf and pedestrian gates, cusped motifs to rails. The police station was opened on 12 March 1902, the building having cost »6201. The building was closed in 1932 and converted to Social Services premises. The gateway leads to the rear yard area and was part of the reservoir complex. The building is in the style of WH Thorp who designed other police stations in the city. (Leeds Local History Library: History of the Police Force in Leeds).
Listing NGR: SE2927935031