Former Union Chapel and Congregational Chapel
List Entry Summary
Name: Former Union Chapel and Congregational Chapel
List entry Number: 1255644
281A, Chapeltown Road, Newton Park, Leeds
The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District Type: Metropolitan Authority
Parish: Non Civil Parish
National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.
Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996
Date of most recent amendment: 25-Oct-2011
Legacy System Information
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System: LBS
List entry Description
Summary of Building
Former Union (joint Baptist and Congregational) chapel, built in 1887 by Archibald Nevill, later used as a Sikh Temple (Gurdwara).
Reasons for Designation
* Architecture: the exterior is a striking and individual design carried out with confidence and incorporating a number of well-executed decorative details * Interior: the interior retains a number of original features despite its conversion to a different religious use * Historic interest: the changing uses of this building reflect the changing social, religious and ethnic composition of the area
The first building on the site was a Congregational Chapel built in 1870-71 by W. H. Harris, it was known as the Newton Park Congregational Church. This was extensively damaged by fire in 2005. In 1887 the Newton Park Union Chapel, serving both Baptist and Congregational denominations was constructed on the eastern side of the chapel, designed by Archibald Nevill, a Leeds architect. After a period as a RAFA Club by c.1963 the Union Chapel had became a Sikh Temple (Gurdwara). It is currently unused.
Materials: constructed of rock-faced coursed gritstone with ashlar dressings to the Union Chapel, and slate roofs.
Plan: an almost square plan with an entrance porch projecting from a hexagonal clerestoried lantern. It has a two-stage tower, gabled transepts and a short nave. To the south side is a two storey extension with a lower wing to the rear.
Exterior: the main elevation, facing east, has a projecting porch which takes up the majority of the frontage. At the centre is a large double pointed-arch window in a gabled front flanked by angled buttresses with crocketed spires. The walls angled back on each side have smaller four-centred arch windows and a decorative frieze above: flying buttresses rise to the lantern behind. The lantern has three gabled faces each with a large traceried pointed arch window. The square tower stands behind the lantern, with the short gabled transepts extending from the sides of the tower. The tower has four clock faces and crocketed pinnacles at each corner. To the right (north) a single storey extension has three square windows and to the left (south) is a two storey extension with a ground floor entrance and three groups of two first floor windows. This extension extends towards the rear (west) as a single storey for the full length of the nave.
Interior: the building has later partitioning but original features include: two entrances to anteroom, inserted screen with double doors to main hall with stone columns, round arches, attached columns, ribbed vault, traceried wall panels; first-floor galleries partitioned off, red and yellow patterned glass in lantern windows (now school room); tower has clock mechanism.
Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1888)
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1886)
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1893)
'Kellys Directory' in Leeds, (1881)
National Grid Reference: SE3089536059
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255644 .pdf
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 07:08:41.
End of official listing