This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1255659



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465788

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE2934NE WOODHOUSE LANE, University Campus 714-1/72/1176 (South West side) No.173 Hopewell House


House, now office. 1847, converted C20. For Henry Littlewood. Red brick, Flemish bond, stone details, render on basement, slate roof. 2 storeys over basement, 3 first-floor windows. Central 4-panel door with overlight in stone surround of Tuscan 3/4 columns, entablature, cornice and blocking course continued as 1st-floor band. Tall 4-pane sashes with slightly segmental rubbed brick arches, rendered apron below. Smaller 4-pane sashes to 1st floor. Paired gutter brackets, end stacks forward of ridge. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built on the land of John Hebblethwaite, merchant, of Ridge House (demolished) whose great nephew, John Hillary, began the development of houses in the area. Henry Littlewood was a coach proprietor in Briggate; by 1861 the house was occupied by Henry Pritchard, flax merchant. (Beresford M: Walks Round Red Brick: Leeds University Press: 1980-: 22).

Listing NGR: SE2971434511

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M , Walks Round Red Brick, (1980), 22

National Grid Reference: SE 29714 34511


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255659 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 01:49:39.

End of official listing