CASTLE GROVE MASONIC HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1255685
Date first listed:
08-Mar-1982
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Sep-1996
Statutory Address:
CASTLE GROVE MASONIC HALL, CASTLE GROVE DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE GROVE MASONIC HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255685 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 10:19:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
CASTLE GROVE MASONIC HALL, CASTLE GROVE DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 27850 36997

Details

LEEDS

SE2736NE CASTLE GROVE DRIVE, Far Headingley 714-1/59/650 (North side (off)) 08/03/82 Castle Grove Masonic Hall (Formerly Listed as: MOOR ROAD, Headingley Castle Grove Masonic Hall)

II

Large house, now masonic hall. 1839, additions c1890 and 1934. For Samuel Holmes; major additions and re-ordering c1890 by T Butler Wilson. Coursed squared ashlar-finished gritstone, slate roof, lead covered dome. Facade of 3 phases: 2-storey, 3-bay centre (1839) with single-storey Tuscan porch, added canted bay windows to ground floor; a pair of matching lateral extensions of taller 2 storeys, 2 bays each with round-headed windows to ground floor and balustrade (c1890); a further 2-bay extension to left, matching and with a domed stairwell, same date. Rear: extensive additions 1934 including Masonic temple over banqueting room. Right return: the left bay is semicircular with paired windows flanking a chimney stack. INTERIOR: the 1890s work included a major refurbishment of all the rooms on the ground floor. A narrow entrance lobby with plaster cornice and ceiling opens into the elaborate full-height circulation hall with dark green marble or composite Ionic pillars and pilasters carrying a very heavy timber entablature above which is a series of round-headed openings, blind on 2 sides, separated by terms which support a deep modillion cornice; segmental coffered barrel ceiling with deep ribs and square panels infilled with large moulded flower heads. At the right end a large marble fireplace with added bolection-moulded architrave; at the left end a heavy timber staircase with wide moulded ramped handrail and thick balusters. Ground-floor rooms: to right front, a long room with panelled doors in eared architrave with deep cornice and swags and flowers in relief, scrolled and panelled plaster ceiling with sun-burst female masks, E end fireplace with marble and wooden surround with female masks. Right extension room has an apsidal end with raised floor, heavy Baroque-style plaster ceiling with Chinese masks and grotesques, carved wooden screen in vaguely Jacobean style, panelled walls, large stone fireplace with overmantel. To left of entrance the long probably former dining room has carved architraves to doors, large wooden fireplace with

twisted columns and deep cornice over, the floor of patterned inlaid wood blocks, heavy Baroque-style plaster ceiling with Tudor roses, Chinese and Classical motifs. First floor: several rooms, now lodge 'temples', have traces of the 1839 decoration including: S side, coved ceiling with egg-and-dart moulding, a fine inlaid wood fireplace and panelled window reveals in room referred to as former library; E side, room with apsidal end has a plaster Rococo-style fireplace and a corner entrance with curved double doors carved with swags and Classical motifs, original fittings. Samuel Holmes was a Leeds linen merchant of Park Square.



Listing NGR: SE2785036997

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
465767
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/13189/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Marcus Sleightholm. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].