This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PAIR OF HOUSES AND WAREHOUSE ON NORTH SIDE OF CANAL AT ARMLEY MILLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PAIR OF HOUSES AND WAREHOUSE ON NORTH SIDE OF CANAL AT ARMLEY MILLS

List entry Number: 1255727

Location

PAIR OF HOUSES AND WAREHOUSE ON NORTH SIDE OF CANAL AT ARMLEY MILLS, CANAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465716

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2734 CANAL ROAD 714-1/28/922 (West side (off)) 19/10/51 Pair of houses and warehouse on north side of canal at Armley Mills (Formerly Listed as: CANAL ROAD, Armley Armley Mills, incl mill houses to SE, chimney to E, and sluices and bridge W)

GV II

Pair of mill managers' houses and warehouse, now museum offices. By 1793. For Israel and John Burrows. Warehouse C19; range restored post 1969 for Leeds Industrial Museum. Coursed stone, hipped stone slate roof with central and end chimneys to houses, corrugated asbestos roof to warehouse. Houses: semi-detached mirror plan of 2 storeys and 2 bays with lower 2-storey 2-bay service range attached to east end, a similar service bay at west end was incorporated into the warehouse block. Doors with overlight in plain surround to bays 1, 4 and 5; 2-, 3- and 4-light restored thin stone mullioned windows in plain stone surrounds. 9-window warehouse range has 3 steps up to doorway with plain surround right, 9-pane central pivoting windows; a change in stonework indicates rebuilding/raising above ground-floor lintel level. Rear: house has outer round-arched stair windows and tall 2-light windows with sashes, 4-light mullion windows to service block, left. Warehouse range has 4-light mullion window and 2 paired square windows left, the remaining windows as front. INTERIOR: not inspected. Thomas Lloyd rebuilt Armley Mills and leased it to Israel Burrows and Christopher Hill; by 1793 Israel and his brother John occupied the houses and used part of the premises for their own weaving business. Although now in an isolated part of the site the houses originally stood on the main path into the mill from the river ford just downstream. In the early C20 the warehouse was of 3 storeys and extended further west.

Listing NGR: SE2759534109

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 27595 34109

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 02:06:01.

End of official listing