This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

6 AND 8, CANAL ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 6 AND 8, CANAL ROAD

List entry Number: 1255742

Location

6 AND 8, CANAL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465685

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2733 CANAL ROAD 714-1/33/915 (East side) Nos.6 AND 8

GV II

Pair of cottages. Built between 1834 and 1847, altered C20. Coursed stone rubble, cement tile shallow-pitch roof with reduced end stack right. 3 storeys to Canal Road, built into ground slope with access at first-floor level to rear, each cottage has door in plain surround left, wide rectangular window right, narrower first-floor window and wide 2nd-floor window, all in plain stone surrounds; possibly original 3-light frame to window top floor left. INTERIOR: shallow arched stone vaulting to ground floor, corner stone staircase rear left in No.8, left. Built at a time when Canal Road terminated at Airegate Wharf and Armley Mills (qv), before the road bridge crossing of the canal and river, and possibly with warehouse storage on the ground floor. (Baines and Newsome: Map of Leeds: 1834-; Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds: 1847-).

Listing NGR: SE2746633724

Selected Sources

Other
Title: Map of the Borough of Leeds Source Date: 1834 Author: Publisher: Surveyor:

National Grid Reference: SE 27466 33724

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255742 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 04:58:44.

End of official listing