WHITELOCKS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255825

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: WHITELOCKS PUBLIC HOUSE, 1-8, TURKS HEAD YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITELOCKS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255825 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 06:09:43.

Location

Statutory Address: WHITELOCKS PUBLIC HOUSE, 1-8, TURKS HEAD YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30175 33530

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033NW TURK'S HEAD YARD 714-1/76/402 (South side) 29/06/63 Nos.1-8 (Consecutive) Whitelock's Public House (Formerly Listed as: TURK'S HEAD YARD Whitelock's dining rooms and bar or The Turk's Head) (Formerly Listed as: TURK'S HEAD YARD No.5) (Formerly Listed as: TURK'S HEAD YARD Nos.6, 7 AND 8)

GV II

Public house, kitchens and stores. Late C18 with extensive alterations 1886 by the Whitelock family. Painted brick, slate roofs. 2 and 3 storeys; long narrow 8-window range to public house (No.1); 4-window former brewhouse and cottage, (Nos 2-5); taller 3-window range at west end (Nos 6-8). 2 doorways to public house, one with moulded architrave, fluted pilasters and dentilled cornice on consoles; ground floor: pilastered windows with continuous cornice over and leaded stained glass panel with lettering: 'Turk's Head'; paired bracket to eaves, ornate cast-iron long brackets. First floor: casements in moulded cases, 2 segmental-arched casements far right. Former brewhouse, (Nos 2 & 3) has panelled door with overlight to right of centre, 1 wide and 3 narrow ground-floor windows and 2 small-paned side-sliding sashes above. 3-storey range (Nos 6, 7 & 8): 4 panelled doors, segmental-arched windows to 1st floor, flat arches under eaves, 3-light side-sliding sashes, some rebuilding under eaves, left. INTERIOR: public house; a longitudinal beam supported on a cast-iron column, late C19 detailing includes a marble-topped bar with tiled front, original trade mirrors, partitions with twisted brass rods, benches and cast-iron tables, panelling, cast-iron fireplace. Former brewhouse has Victorian-style interior. The row of tenements was built in the rear yard of No.51 Briggate (qv), probably begun by 1715, the date of the first licence for the Turk's Head. Measured drawings indicate the plan of Nos 4-8 as 1-room cottages with cellar and 1 or 2

upper rooms (Beresford p.87), probably dating from the later C18. The premises were bought in 1880 by the Whitelock family and extensively altered; it was the first building in Leeds to have electric lighting and an electric clock. Nos 5-8 listed 5.8.76. (Publications of the Thoresby Society: Beresford, M: East End, West End: Leeds: 1988-: 87; Pepper, B: Old Inns and Pubs of Leeds: Otley: 1988-: 9).



Listing NGR: SE3017533530

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465630

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 87
Pepper, B , Old Inns and Pubs of Leeds, (1988), 9

End of official listing