PERMANENT HOUSE AND HEADROW BUILDINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255859

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1995

Statutory Address: PERMANENT HOUSE AND HEADROW BUILDINGS, 44-72, THE HEADROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of PERMANENT HOUSE AND HEADROW BUILDINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:33:44.

Location

Statutory Address: PERMANENT HOUSE AND HEADROW BUILDINGS, 44-72, THE HEADROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30020 33807

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2933NE THE HEADROW 714-1/75/389 (North side) 11/04/95 Nos.44-72 (Even) Permanent House and Headrow Buildings

GV II

Shop and office building. 1930-31 and 1955. Overall design by Sir Reginald Blomfield and GW Atkinson. Portland stone and red brick, slate roof. Classical style. 4 storeys, stepped 4-part 27-window facade to The Headrow, left 9-window return of 1930 and a further 11-window addition of 1955 to Cookridge Street and right 4-window return to Albion Street. Ashlar corner bays, rusticated ground floor, round keyed arches to slightly projecting entrance bays, tall shop windows to Nos 44-60, ground-floor windows to Nos 70 & 72 altered later C20. Rectangular windows with metal frames, ashlar architraves to first floor and entrance bays, segmental pediments, swags, panelled and balustraded parapet, urns. A tall carriage arch surmounted by columns in antis, entablature and parapet links the 2 parts of the building over Cross Fountaine Street. Rear, Nos 50-60: giant metal-framed windows with decorative panels to upper floors. INTERIOR: Headrow Buildings; fine original fittings include tiled walls to corridors, marble-lined stairs, with wrought-iron balustrade and brass handrails, service rooms, brass window catches, black and white stone floors. HISTORICAL NOTE: the building on the corner with Cookridge Street was opened on 15 May 1930 as the headquarters of the Leeds Permanent Building Society (founded 1848); the uphill range, with corner to Albion Street, was opened on 3 December 1931 by Mr Charles Lupton, chairman of the Leeds Corporation Improvements Committee; a plaque in the entrance records the event. The latter consisted of 9 shops and 89 offices used by the Leeds Electricity Department, Inland Revenue, and Cadbury's. A photograph taken in 1955 (Heap, p.17) shows the western half of the Cookridge Street range under construction. (Heap, A: The Headrow, a pictorial record: Leeds: 1990-: 17, 23).



Listing NGR: SE3002033807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465578

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Heap, A, The Headrow a Pictorial history, (1990), 17, 23

End of official listing