This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 13 AND 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 13 AND 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1255877

Location

25 AND 27, LEICESTER GROVE
NUMBERS 13 AND 14 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 13 AND 14, BLENHEIM SQUARE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Leeds

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1996

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 465518

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE2934NE BLENHEIM SQUARE 714-1/72/36 (North East side) Nos.13 AND 14 and attached railings

GV II

Includes: Nos.25 AND 27 LEICESTER GROVE. Pair of houses with railings. 1822-31, altered C20. Red/brown brick, Flemish bond, rubbed brick details, slate roof. 3 storeys over basement; each house 3 windows wide with entrance right. Steps up to door with fanlight in plain stone surround with keyed arch and imposts. Segmental-arched basement windows, upper-floor window frames replaced, stone sills and flat brick arches. Dentilled eaves; large multi-flue stacks straddle ridge between the properties. Rear: semicircular bow window encased in wood and frames replaced on left (No.13), round-arched stair window openings survive, frames replaced. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: railings: surviving on right (No.13), enclose basement and flank steps, rails and standards with flower finials. Part of the first stage of the Finsbury Square built between 1822 and 1831 and shown on Fowler's map, now Nos 7-14 Blenheim Square. The oval garden was made but the S side of the square was never built. (Beresford M: East End, West End: Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684-1842: Leeds: 1988-: 344; Fowler C: Map of the town of Leeds and the Environs: 1831-; Ordnance Survey Map of Leeds: 1847-).



Listing NGR: SE2984834810

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Beresford, M W, East End West End The Face of Leeds During Urbanisation 1684 to 1842, (1988), 344

National Grid Reference: SE 29848 34810

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 01:33:37.

End of official listing