1, THE BOURSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1255915

Date first listed: 22-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Sep-1996

Statutory Address: 1, THE BOURSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1, THE BOURSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255915 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 14:21:09.

Location

Statutory Address: 1, THE BOURSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 30111 33358

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LEEDS

SE3033SW THE BOURSE 714-1/78/41 (East side) 22/03/74 No.1 (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) Nos.20A AND 21)

GV II

Offices. 1869-75, altered C20. Possibly by Thomas Ambler. Ashlar, grey slate roof. Deep modillioned eaves cornice and balustraded parapet. 3-storey, 3-window range in Italianate style on a corner site. First floor: round-arched windows with panelled pilasters and moulded impost band, the central window being double-recessed with short fluted pilasters. Flanking rusticated double pilasters and deep modillioned cornice. 2nd floor as first but with less detailing. Boarded C20 shop fronts. Right return: the left 2 bays as main facade; bay 3 more elaborate, with round-headed oriel window rising through 2 storeys and pedimented gable over. INTERIOR: not inspected. Built to house the Leeds Corporation Gas Offices, the secretary in 1872 was James Lupton. By 1886 a 'Grand Restaurant' was housed in the building, probably including No.3 Alfred Street (qv), and there was a brick-arched wine cellar in the basement. (Porter T: Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood: Leeds: 1873-; Insurance Map of the City Centre: 1886-).



Listing NGR: SE3011833360

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 465444

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Porter, T, Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1873)

End of official listing