3, THE BOURSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- 3, THE BOURSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1255921 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 23:33:01.
- Statutory Address:
- 3, THE BOURSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
- Non Civil Parish
- National Grid Reference:
THE BOURSE (West side) No.3 (Formerly Listed as: ALFRED STREET (West side) No.2) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) No.22 National Westminster Bank) (Formerly Listed as: BOAR LANE (South side) No.23) (Formerly Listed as: NEW STATION STREET (East side) Nos.1-7)
Bank, shop and restaurant. Former No.22, 1869-72. For the shareholders of the Leeds Mercantile Bank, (John Holmes and Co), probably by Thomas Ambler. Former No.23, c1873. Ashlar, with polished granite dressings. Slate roofs. Former No.22 in Italianate style. Corner site of 4 storeys plus attic; 3 windows to Boar Lane, 1 corner window and 5 windows to Alfred Street at first-floor level. Ground floor: deeply recessed panelled double doors to right on Boar Lane and to left on Alfred Street, in richly decorated round arches with paired flanking attached columns and foliate capitals in the reveals; low 2-leaf cast-iron gates, bars having interlaced foliage and lock rail ornamented with curved bars and knobbed finials to Boar Lane entrance; pilasters carved with swags and animals including the owl badge of Leeds alternate with granite columns and carry deeply-carved capitals supporting an arcade with Classical detailing across both facades. 1st and 2nd floors: richly decorated round arches, pilasters and column shafts as ground floor, the architraves less elaborate at each storey. Deep cornices to each floor; heavy modillion cornice to eaves and high pierced parapet with 2-light attic window and large segmental pediment surmounted by a scrolled finial; 2 similar attic windows to Alfred Street facade. Former No.23 in Gothic Revival style. Corner site, 4 storeys. Narrow 1-window facade to Boar Lane; 4-window elevation to New Station Street. Boar Lane: each floor has 3-light stone mullion and transom window with vertically divided panels between floors; 3rd floor has cusped ogee-headed lights. Panelled stone gable; moulded strings. New Station Street: 2-light version of Boar Lane facade; brick panels between windows which are carried up above eaves line as small gables; strong courses continue from front. C20 shop front. INTERIOR: Boar Lane entrance to bank has original richly detailed mahogany panelled lobby and inner double doors in glazed partition with carved attached columns and panels with swags and scrolls in relief. The ground floor is a single large room with cross wall partitioning off the stair-well which is entered from Alfred Street and dealt with separately. The banking hall has an elaborate framed plaster ceiling, the cross beams decorated with Classical motifs. Position of blocked doorway to stair hall indicated by ceiling moulding against east end of partition wall. 6-panel door to small room at west end of same wall contains hoist to basement strong room. Basement: walls lined with white tiles; strongroom below west side of banking hall; the hoist doors open onto a narrow passage opposite Chubb-made door with inner grille. Strongroom has outer and inner room, divided by a 2nd grille, the outer with probably original cupboard with deed drawers, the inner having one possibly original free-standing safe with maker's name: 'Milners, London/Liverpool'. First floor: inserted partitions, 2 fireplaces against west wall; 1 against east, all blocked. Deep moulded ceiling cornice appears to be continuous, suggesting that the room was not originally partitioned. 4 moulded brackets with scrolls and female head suggest line of beams above C20 underceiling. 2nd floor: door from stair-well probably original, the top panels replaced by glazing. 2 original fireplaces; at north end of west wall and against the east wall. Both have stone shelf and surround, the latter carved in deep relief with foliage and profile busts, of Dante and Beatrice and Prince Albert and Princess Victoria; round-arched opening with carved key stone, cast-iron grate. The third fireplace blocked. 3rd floor: 3 fireplaces as below, that to north end of west wall having plain jambs with brackets. 4th floor: 2 fireplaces against west wall survive, with plain stone surrounds and cast-iron grate. Staircase well: cantilevered stone stair rises through 2 straight flights with curved wall to half-landing on each floor. Plain outer handrail attached to wall; very fine continuous moulded wooden rail on cast-iron balustrade, the balusters of open work with scrolls and vine leaves; the lowest flight removed when C20 security door inserted, but otherwise continuous to top storey. A short length of balustrade also survives in the basement. HISTORICAL NOTE: former No.22 sold in 2 lots to Mr Bramham when the south side of Boar Lane was redeveloped in 1869, and in 1872 the new 'Bank Buildings' was occupied by Leeds Mercantile Bank and Rooke and Midgley, Solicitors. The only building on Boar Lane to retain its original ground-floor frontage and has been described as one of the finest commercial buildings of this date in Leeds. New Station Street was planned in 1873; the first occupant was Henry D Harrison, confectioner and restaurant proprietor. (Leeds Public Library: Deeds relating to sale of properties on S side of Boar Lane: 1869-; Porter T: Directory of Leeds and its Neighbourhood: Leeds: 1873-).
Listing NGR: SE3008333352
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Porter, T, Directory of Leeds and Neighbourhood, (1873)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing